Very aggressive rooster

Do these guys just turn into asses over night or are there signs? I have 2 that are young but have always been respectful of myself and even little kids as of last week.
I think when they hit puberty, that's when the devil comes out of em'! Sort of like some fine upstanding citizens we have who are chilling behind fences living off tax payer money.

I would cull a human hating rooster though, don't want to pass that genetic trait down.

Do these guys just turn into asses over night or are there signs? I have 2 that are young but have always been respectful of myself and even little kids as of last week.

There are usually signs at an early age that a rooster will be aggressive. When a rooster matures at 4 months or so you can watch how they treat the hens and other roosters. Aggression shows up early! If they are raping the hens instead of wooing them they should be culled. If they are already challenging older roosters they should be culled. If they show no respect for you and other humans they should be culled.
There are too many good roosters out there to put up with a bad one. And it's easier to love a good one than a bad one.

"Off with his head" says the queen! :th

One of my (store bought) cockerels started flaring up and going for me at eight weeks of age! How stupid is that?! He wasn't able to learn anything constructive, and didn't last long.
That's extreme, though.
If you are new to chickens, you may miss those early subtle behaviors that need to be corrected, if possible. Giving you the 'stink eye'; not turning away from eye contact, or moving away when you are walking 'through' him. Any dancing at you!
I make a point of walking 'through' my cockerels and adult cock birds when I'm out there, and polite boys give me plenty of space.
Last year I eliminated a handsome, polite to humans cockerel because he was too rough on the pullets, and even senior hens.
I have twice had adult cock birds get nasty in spring, one was two years old! That doesn't work for me either.
There's a contract between me and my flock; Have a good life in good conditions, and be polite to the folks who bring food!
Mary

Good to know. Mine are just over 3.5 months. They move out of my way when I am walking through. I have to chase them to catch them if I need to, but they don't go after me and sit calmly letting me do whatever--check wings, combs, etc. They keep a small distance when treats come but they do look at me like please throw me something. They crow when they hear me and the one sometimes sits there and stares at the window waiting for me..I just thought yesterday, he s plotting on how to kill me...I think they are pretty decent, I had a couple smaller kids over last week and they were really good with the kids. One crowed for them and the look on a 3 year olds face when they see that for the first time is priceless. I'm not to sure what rough on the girls would be though? He kinda tries to grab them, but always misses. They take off, want nothing to do with it and he doesn't pursue them once they move away--he waits until later and still gets nowhere..lol

i have a problem and need a solution. I have a very aggressive rooster he attacks us every time we go into the yard. You need to be armed with a rake or something because he is coming for you. He won’t even let my dog go outside - she is terrified of him. I’ve tried to find him a home but who would want him? I’m tired of feeling like I’m a hostage in my own yard. Suggestions?
I'd love to give your rooster a home right here with my hen's. i love roosters no matter how aggressive. in all honesty, every rooster that was ever given to me 6, which have died because of old age, the people would tell me how aggressive they were and proved to be that. what i have done with those rooster's, I clipp their wings only once when i first get them, and stand my ground, and try to grab their feathers on the back of their neck. its the way ofthe pecking order. Show whose BOSS

Last edited:
[QUOTombardo, post: 20103660, member: 505929"]Do these guys just turn into asses over night or are there signs? I have 2 that are young but have always been respectful of myself and even little kids as of last week.[/QUOTE]
Yes. There is. They start by eyeing you. Not moving out of your way etc. It starts early but you can usually tell for sure by 9-10 months. The grandkids wanted to keep this one and I was doubtful. The decision was made at 3-1/2months. So, they start early. At 2 years they are supposed to be done growing up.
I have 1 older than 2 and he has been the same good boy for 6 months. My dog makes sure they never get lippy now though.
There is a like in a previous post to this thread. Long but good read.

Good to know. Mine are just over 3.5 months. They move out of my way when I am walking through. I have to chase them to catch them if I need to, but they don't go after me and sit calmly letting me do whatever--check wings, combs, etc. They keep a small distance when treats come but they do look at me like please throw me something. They crow when they hear me and the one sometimes sits there and stares at the window waiting for me..I just thought yesterday, he s plotting on how to kill me...I think they are pretty decent, I had a couple smaller kids over last week and they were really good with the kids. One crowed for them and the look on a 3 year olds face when they see that for the first time is priceless. I'm not to sure what rough on the girls would be though? He kinda tries to grab them, but always misses. They take off, want nothing to do with it and he doesn't pursue them once they move away--he waits until later and still gets nowhere..lol

It sounds like you just might have some good roosters in the making! ;)

I vote cull. There's no point in keeping a rooster like that. You don't want to breed those genetics, and he'll just make jobs like refilling the feed hard for you. If culling isn't an option, get some big boots (preferably steel-capped) and kick him back whenever he goes for you. It's mean, and it doesn't damage his attitude too much, but it feels good, and you'll feel safer...

My first ever rooster was a tiny bantam, under two pounds body weight. He was a monster! I'd take a stick or some weapon to the barn every day to fend him off. He never gave up! After he 'moved on', finally, my brain kicked in, and never again did we have such a beast here.
Some cock birds are unable to modify their behavior; to stupid, too hormonal, whatever. Life is too short to feed such a critter. It's supposed to be a domestic chicken, not actually a velociraptor!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom