Very aggressive rooster

TE="HuskerHens18, post: 20095799, member: 505874"]When my RIR got horribly aggressive, I flat out beat the crap out of him everyday. I had brooms and rakes, I even used my big boots. it may have been cruel, but that taught him to fear me. Never had a problem after that week.
If you're not attached to him, then just get rid of him. I work hard to keep my roosters in line, but I also spend 60% of my day out there making sure they're behaving. If you just want to spend a few minutes outside and can't because of his attacking, then you'll be better off removing him from your flock.
You can spray him with a hose too If you've got a high powered one.[/QUOTE]
This was one of the things I tried. So, he only attacked when my back was turned. He was such a jerk!

TE="HuskerHens18, post: 20095799, member: 505874"]When my RIR got horribly aggressive, I flat out beat the crap out of him everyday. I had brooms and rakes, I even used my big boots. it may have been cruel, but that taught him to fear me. Never had a problem after that week.
If you're not attached to him, then just get rid of him. I work hard to keep my roosters in line, but I also spend 60% of my day out there making sure they're behaving. If you just want to spend a few minutes outside and can't because of his attacking, then you'll be better off removing him from your flock.
You can spray him with a hose too If you've got a high powered one.
This was one of the things I tried. So, he only attacked when my back was turned. He was such a jerk![/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I had to laugh. Sounds like my rooster, Satan. Named him that before he turned into the devil himself. He's a pyschopath.. my other rooster Yoko, tries so hard to put him in his place but Satan beats the daylights outta him. He comes at me, I have a broom and wack the nut in the back. Takes about 3 hits and he backs off. I no longer deal with him, I wanted him gone but husband wants him, so he deals with him. He carries the stick in hand ready for a wack to the tail feathers if the beast is ready for another war.

i have a problem and need a solution. I have a very aggressive rooster he attacks us every time we go into the yard. You need to be armed with a rake or something because he is coming for you. He won’t even let my dog go outside - she is terrified of him. I’ve tried to find him a home but who would want him? I’m tired of feeling like I’m a hostage in my own yard. Suggestions?
I had a RIR like that. He attacked me DAILY, he attacked my 2yr old grandbaby and knew he needed to go, but I loved him so I kept him. Finally he killed my beautiful BRAHAMA HEN, so I turned him over to the Amish. They haven't eaten him yet, but I'm sure they will. Very sad because I loved that bird. Honestly though, re-homing him is your only option.

I had a RIR like that. He attacked me DAILY, he attacked my 2yr old grandbaby and knew he needed to go, but I loved him so I kept him. Finally he killed my beautiful BRAHAMA HEN, so I turned him over to the Amish. They haven't eaten him yet, but I'm sure they will. Very sad because I loved that bird. Honestly though, re-homing him is your only option.
Oh goodness... how did he kill her??

My rooster, pecks the hens if they come near him when he's eating but hasn't attacked them that I've seen.

UOTE="2 many chickens, post: 20097033, member: 456728"]This was one of the things I tried. So, he only attacked when my back was turned. He was such a jerk![/QUOTE]
It took way more that 3 hits with the broom to stop my guy and I sent him for a loop each time.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh. Sounds like my rooster, Satan. Named him that before he turned into the devil himself. He's a pyschopath.. my other rooster Yoko, tries so hard to put him in his place but Satan beats the daylights outta him. He comes at me, I have a broom and wack the nut in the back. Takes about 3 hits and he backs off. I no longer deal with him, I wanted him gone but husband wants him, so he deals with him. He carries the stick in hand ready for a wack to the tail feathers if the beast is ready for another war.[/QUOTE]
It

i have a problem and need a solution. I have a very aggressive rooster he attacks us every time we go into the yard. You need to be armed with a rake or something because he is coming for you. He won’t even let my dog go outside - she is terrified of him. I’ve tried to find him a home but who would want him? I’m tired of feeling like I’m a hostage in my own yard. Suggestions?
Eat him. Sooner is better. Your crockpot is your friend. Do not pawn this rooster off onto someone else. Bear in mind that although he is small compared to you, he can still injure you or someone else. You can buy an awful lot of chicken feed for the price of one visit to the ER.

We have a one year old that does sneak attacks when not keeping an eye on him. We catch him and hang him by the legs, then hold him for awhile (upright, under arm, keep an eye our for your eyes). This seriously bruises his ego. The other thing we do is keep a three foot branch from a fur tree handy. When he tries to attack I chase him down until he obviously wants nothing to do with me. Now a dead eye stare makes him think twice. At least we can move around our yard. We plan to get rid of him this summer. We just hatched chicks.

Just a note. To catch him you can use a cloths basked dropped on top or a blanket. Dollar stores sell butterfly nets with long bamboo handles. We keep one handy to catch chickens that escape.

Back
Top Bottom