Very bad wormy hen!! Please help quick!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman98, Jul 3, 2011.

1. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    I have a hen who is very wormy. She is falling over and you can see lots of worms on her butt. Please help! What can I do??????

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Put her in a seperate pen. then find some wazine17 online or at your local livestock store and follow the directions. while healing "if not too late for her", i would add nutrient suppliment to her diet. I would also use the wazine17 on the whole flock. If one chicken has it, most likely others have worms too.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Are you sure they are not maggots? If so, I'd go get some SWAT quick from the feed supply and put it on her butt. I mean quick because if they're maggots they are eating her alive. For starters, bathe her or at least rinse them off as best you can, then go get the SWAT.

4. chickenman98

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Its to late she is gone. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    RIP: Coco. She was a pretty blue Cochin. [​IMG]

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Ohhh shooot. [​IMG]

6. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    We went through this last summer. My heart goes out to you because it is really distressing when one of your chickens is falling over. This means she does truly have a very, very bad infestation and she is quick sick. It literally took months for our chicken to fully heal but she is just fine now a year later.

So, don't give up! It takes diligence and patience and love but they can get through this! [​IMG]

But - the chicken can recover.

Most importantly - Contact forum member dawg53 and/or joebryant ASAP. He/they is/are an expert(s) on worms and parasites and will be able to walk you through the very best medicines to use.

Obviously seperate the chicken and keep it close enough that you can monitor it easily and frequently.

Supplements: You want to get hold of poly-vi-sol drops (easily available at Petco, etc. where they have bird supplies) and add to the chickens water. If you are not sure that the chicken is taking in enough water then give the chicken water by hand with a dropper. I also really like Nutri-drench but I've only been able to get that online.

Food:

Add the following immediately to diet for probiotics: scrambled and/or hardboiled eggs and plain yogurt.

Also, a really, really high quality beef cat food. The one we used was bought at a feed store and is by a company called "by nature". It was a 95% pure beef and liver cat food - NO FILLERS.

The above is in addition to the chickens regular layer feed.

Again, contact dawg53 and/or joebryant asap.

Best of luck. Our pulled through an awful infestation of both internal and external parasites. It took 2 rounds of treatment.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  7. chickenman98

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Ya and I'm 13 and I get to go clean out everything. Yay [​IMG]

8. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    Oh, no. I'm so sorry. I was typing up my response when she died.

That is awful. So sad for you. [​IMG]

9. chickenman98

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Yeah and now I don't think it was worms. I think like chkn said, it was maggots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by