Very bloody dropping chicks

Nkim

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2021
Hello,

I picked up a few ~4 week old silkies yesterday. They are alert and eating and drinking well. I did notice a little bit of blood/pink in their droppings yesterday occasionally but nothing out of the normal range to me… but this morning, one had a stool that was all blood. They were not on medicated feed where they came from. Should I start corid? If so, does anyone know if for four week olds it would be 9.5mL per gallon water?

Attachments

• AD46FE6C-E9D2-4C69-AAB7-8CEB3E291F04.jpeg
    AD46FE6C-E9D2-4C69-AAB7-8CEB3E291F04.jpeg
    590.3 KB · Views: 6
Corid is the right form of action.

For exact measurement, I'm not one who's great with that. @casportpony, knows more then I do if you want exact dosage.

Also, it's okay if you go abit more by accident. Corid is so gentle, you'd literally have to drown them in corid to actually overdose them.

Corid is the right form of action.

For exact measurement, I'm not one who's great with that. @casportpony, knows more then I do if you want exact dosage.

Also, it's okay if you go abit more by accident. Corid is so gentle, you'd literally have to drown them in corid to actually overdose them.
Thanks so much for the speedy reply!
I am adding it to their water at 2.5mL per quart for now unless someone suggests otherwise! I also have them on medicated feed but I think that’s still fine to continue as I’ve heard medicated feed has such a small amount in it?

Thanks so much for the speedy reply!
I am adding it to their water at 2.5mL per quart for now unless someone suggests otherwise! I also have them on medicated feed but I think that’s still fine to continue as I’ve heard medicated feed has such a small amount in it?
Yes, Medicated feed has a small amount of Amprolium. It's more of a preventative approach, but not foolproof.

I don't use Medicated feed since it doesn't have the protein requirements I like to feed my chicks. Medicated feed is between 18% - 20%. I always feed 24% protein chick feed.

Yes, Medicated feed has a small amount of Amprolium. It's more of a preventative approach, but not foolproof.

I don't use Medicated feed since it doesn't have the protein requirements I like to feed my chicks. Medicated feed is between 18% - 20%. I always feed 24% protein chick feed.
Awh okay! This is good to know. Thank you so much ❤️

Hello,

I picked up a few ~4 week old silkies yesterday. They are alert and eating and drinking well. I did notice a little bit of blood/pink in their droppings yesterday occasionally but nothing out of the normal range to me… but this morning, one had a stool that was all blood. They were not on medicated feed where they came from. Should I start corid? If so, does anyone know if for four week olds it would be 9.5mL per gallon water?
It's the same for any age.
The Correct Amprolium Dose
Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed  - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed The Correct Amprolium Dose Treatment 20% Powder 9.6% Liquid For 3-5 days 1.5 teaspoons per gallon 2 teaspoons per gallon then for 7-14 days 1/3 teaspoon per gallon 1/2 teaspoon per gallon When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I...

Last edited:
Thank you so much!
You're welcome! If you know which ones are pooping blood like that you can give them an oral dose in addition to their medicated water.
9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

The directions above are the same when using any 9.6% liquid or 20% powder. Such products include Amprol, AmproMed, Amprolium 200, Amprid, CocciAid, etc.

Click here to learn how to give medications orally:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

Corid Amprolium Oral Drench Instructions

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions: 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days. or 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or...

You're welcome! If you know which ones are pooping blood like that you can give them an oral dose in addition to their medicated water.
9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

The directions above are the same when using any 9.6% liquid or 20% powder. Such products include Amprol, AmproMed, Amprolium 200, Amprid, CocciAid, etc.

Click here to learn how to give medications orally:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions: 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days. or 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or...
Thank you! I know it was one of two but not POSITIVE on which of the two… Would you recommend I wait until I’m sure before drenching or just drench both?
thanks again so much!

I also like to give wet mash with Corid water, that way in case they aren’t drinking much they are still getting the medicine! If you feel comfortable with it! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom