Very first bunny babies!

And thank you both about the little spotted darling. Just like his/her mom, that kit has a small spot around each eye.
That kit was the most active at first too so I jokingly called him/her spaz. I am looking forward to seeing what personalities develop.

Cool!! Sounds great. She is a good mom not to go to the bathroom in it. I had 2 does who liked to use it as a potty
he.gif
I swear i want to pound their heads to get it in their brains its NOT a litter box! I would have to change the bedding a lot. I also one that loved food (she would eat herself to death if i let her) so she would eat all the hay out from under her babies. That problem was fixed when i switched her to shredded paper :)

I think that I really lucked out with Hassen. She had that next box in her house box for over a week before kindling, and never used it to toilet. I think that's a big part of why I left it in even though it began to seem like a false pregnancy because she nested so early (11 days! who does that? LOL)
However, Hassen does have an actual litter box that I had to install on top of her house box to save the wood. She is the type who picks a corner, and that is where she goes.

My other doe is a completely different temperament, and I wonder how the mother styles will compare.

Every doe is different; until you have experience with one, you have no idea what she'll do. I once had a Jersey Wooly that started fur pulling around day 21 (the Jersey Wooly is a dwarf Angora, in case you didn't know).. The first time, I thought it was a false pregnancy, but she kept it up so I gave her a nest box. By the time the babies came at day 32, her whole cage was awash with fur, and the doe's body was almost completely bare. She had one little 2" wide strip of wool along her spine, everything else was on the cage floor or in the nestbox. Frankly, there was so much in the box, I was surprised that she could squeeze the babies in there.

She did this each time she kindled. One time, I wound up taking her in the house for a couple of weeks after her litter were born because it was winter and I was afraid she'd freeze to death. Someone who saw her a few days after kindling asked, "did that rabbit have surgery?" The wacky thing was, she was a Siamese Sable. Shadeds are temperature-sensitive; they are darker where their skin is cooler. This gal was brown on the top of course, but nearly black underneath when her fur grew back in.
th.gif

I think that I really lucked out with Hassen. She had that next box in her house box for over a week before kindling, and never used it to toilet. I think that's a big part of why I left it in even though it began to seem like a false pregnancy because she nested so early (11 days! who does that? LOL)
However, Hassen does have an actual litter box that I had to install on top of her house box to save the wood. She is the type who picks a corner, and that is where she goes.

My other doe is a completely different temperament, and I wonder how the mother styles will compare.

I noticed with 2 of my Does they are on opposite ends of the world! lol my one Doe Lyta is the best of moms and those babies are running around in no time but she likes to go after me and try to bite me. Stormy one of my other Does has I do believe an "attitude" problem lol she doesn't care to much for keeping her kits nice and snugly or keep them as well kept, but she lets me pet her and all. But every Doe is different and has their own personality.

LOL :) Its fun to learn about each rabbits little habits and personality. Hassen seems like a great doe. :)

Every doe is different; until you have experience with one, you have no idea what she'll do. I once had a Jersey Wooly that started fur pulling around day 21 (the Jersey Wooly is a dwarf Angora, in case you didn't know).. The first time, I thought it was a false pregnancy, but she kept it up so I gave her a nest box. By the time the babies came at day 32, her whole cage was awash with fur, and the doe's body was almost completely bare. She had one little 2" wide strip of wool along her spine, everything else was on the cage floor or in the nestbox. Frankly, there was so much in the box, I was surprised that she could squeeze the babies in there.

She did this each time she kindled. One time, I wound up taking her in the house for a couple of weeks after her litter were born because it was winter and I was afraid she'd freeze to death. Someone who saw her a few days after kindling asked, "did that rabbit have surgery?" The wacky thing was, she was a Siamese Sable. Shadeds are temperature-sensitive; they are darker where their skin is cooler. This gal was brown on the top of course, but nearly black underneath when her fur grew back in.
th.gif
wow. i never had a rabbit do that. I bet she was funny looking!

Yeah. It looked like a poodle cut gone horribly wrong - fur on the head, feet and tail, and a mohawk down her back, and everything else bare skin! Silly girl!
gig.gif

Day 13

The kits are hopping about the nest a lot!

They do have eyes open. This one nearly hopped out of the nest!

Tiny tails!

Back
Top Bottom