**VERY GRAPHIC PICS** HELP! muscovy foot ripped open!!!!

kerriliane

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Langley, BC, Canada
So, my neighbour came over today, and informed me that i had a bloody duck on my roof. I got it down.. and it's foot is ripped open.. I've gauze, cardboard, then vet wrapped it.. I'm worried about it it won't stop bleeding...

I don't want to have to put it down, but I don't know what to do!
Help!!!!

2010-12-12174748.jpg

Last edited:
Oh My - I sure hope the bleeding has stopped ! General first aid rules - clean, dry, wrapped and warm. Though I've heard not to use anything with a 'cain' pain reliever in it - as it's toxic to birds. But I've also read you can give 1/2 baby asprin twice daily for pain. But asprin is also a blood thinner so I don't think I use that until the bleeding is under control.
I wish you luck ! Poor little duck

It's currently wrapped, so I'll check tomorrow, but I mean.. it's got no skin on the bottom of it's foot anymore, and I'm worried that it's not going to heal
sad.png

a piece of the skin is hanging off, and i was trying to place it back, but it didn't really work.
Tomorrow though, I'll re-wrap it, with it's toes spread normally not bunched together, and then splint it again ..
It's so sad.
I leave for ontario for 8 days, in 9 days and I'm so worried... I was going to have a friend come feed my chickens every other day while i was gone, but now.. now I'm going to have to have her babysit my duck for the week I'm gone too
sad.png

She's my absolute favourite of my scovies too!!

With a wrecked foot - even if it does heal... will the duck ever be able to swim?
And, I can't really amputate a duck foot can I?

She and her 3.. which now seem to be 2 sisters - both very traumatized - were going to be going to the auction in the spring because they're SO messy, and swim in all the water bowls, and eat ALL the food, after this though.. if she lives.. I might decide to keep them.

I have ducks and I am a nurse, and my general rule for first aid and home remidies, treat it as if it was your childs foot, clean it with proxide, get some betadine or methilaide, put some neosproin on it, dress it with bandages or cut sterile clean cloth, and if you have some tylan antibiotic give her a dose even your own Rx antibotic capsule, every day clean and monitor it, after it starts healing debri it, if you have a foot massager do wound care, put some betadine in the water and make it like a whirl pool for her foot.

That does not look good. Could it be that it got injured in barbed wire? You will end up with some tissue dying off. I would go to a vet and have them check out the tissue and blood supply in it. They may have to remove tissue to save the foot. A vet can also cartorize (sp?) the bleeding while removing the skin. Same tool. I would add antibiotic to the drinking water right away to stop an infection for setting in.

Theres no barbed wire anywhere around here
I found her on the roof of my house with another duck. Neither moved when I picked them up .. usually they fly/run from me.
I hadn't seen any of them all day, and one of my 4 is missing.
The other one that wasn't on the roof.. came out of a bush at noon and when i found her and put her in the run, my indian runner male tried to mount her so she took off and is now on the coops roof.. and hasnt moved since.

Tomorrow I'll be putting neosporin on it. Today I just wanted to get it wrapped and gauze put on it.

Realisitically - a $200 vet bill for a duck that cost me $1.50 and I was planning to sell at the farm auction in the spring just isnt worth it, so if I can't fix her here.. then she will be euthanized. Until this happened these ducks hated me anyway. They always took off as soon as I got near them, and made a MESS of the food and water.

Back
Top Bottom