Very ill chicken. What do I do??

You're right, but the OP will need to get the tube and syringe and the best place to get them is at the vet. FWIW, when I give fluids, I use a size 18 french, but when I give food, I use a 30 french.

The syringes (in a wide range of brands/sizes) can be obtained via eBay, for those not in immediate need. Also, if 14 french would be sufficient? Male 16" catheters are dirt cheap (lookin' into the possibility of treatments from the other end ~'-)

Last edited:
The syringes (in a wide range of brands/sizes) can be obtained via eBay, for those not in immediate need. Also, if 14 french would be sufficient? Male 16" catheters are dirt cheap (lookin' into the possibility of treatments from the other end ~'-)
A 14 would be fine for fluids, but a little too narrow for food, IMHO.

Can I just ask, is it safe to buy and give her fenbendazole at the moment? Or should I try the ACV first?
I don't think think I will need to tube feed her as she is eating her pellets and yoghurt, and she eventually ate some of the lettuce, but I really do appreciate the info and hopefully I won't need to use it but its there should I need to (or anyone else).
I will dust her for mites tomorrow too (precaution)

Last edited:
Can I just ask, is it safe to buy and give her fenbendazole at the moment? Or should I try the ACV first?
I don't think think I will need to tube feed her as she is eating her pellets and yoghurt, and she eventually ate some of the lettuce, but I really do appreciate the info and hopefully I won't need to use it but its there should I need to (or anyone else).
I will dust her for mites tomorrow too (precaution)
From what I have learned, worming never kills them, and it's actually one of the first things that I do when I find one that's off. First I dust, then when and worm. I do this for every sick bird I find. Do some die, yes, but professional necropsies show that they would have died anyway and that my dusting, worming, tube feeding etc, had nothing to do with their deaths.

From what I have learned, worming never kills them, and it's actually one of the first things that I do when I find one that's off. First I dust, then when and worm. I do this for every sick bird I find. Do some die, yes, but professional necropsies show that they would have died anyway and that my dusting, worming, tube feeding etc, had nothing to do with their deaths.

I have never seen any case in which fenbendazole directly caused the death of any bird, as it's been tested all the way up to 1,000 mg/kg. But, I've seen a few die from killin' too many too quickly (although, arguably, they mighta died anyhow, even w/o the blockage and/or rush of proteins).

My cousin is a pharmacist and he says that my local pharmacy should be able to order some in, but when I've called there is nothing under that name, is there another name for it or brand?

*edit*
I used my head and googled it. Found panacur and safe guard.
Rang the pharmacy they're going to try get it and ring me, he was unsure though. He told me where he gets his for his chickens but the problem is there's nowhere close, I don't drive and the post around here is bad so if I order it online it will take forever.
Fingers crossed he can order it

Last edited:
My cousin is a pharmacist and he says that my local pharmacy should be able to order some in, but when I've called there is nothing under that name, is there another name for it or brand?

*edit*
I used my head and googled it. Found panacur and safe guard.
Rang the pharmacy they're going to try get it and ring me, he was unsure though. He told me where he gets his for his chickens but the problem is there's nowhere close, I don't drive and the post around here is bad so if I order it online it will take forever.
Fingers crossed he can order it

Should be available at any farm supply ... suggest dosing fenbendazole at the rate of 20 mg/kg of body weight for three consecutive days, as this is the minimum dosage that has proven to be 100% against all worms (except tapeworms).

Should be available at any farm supply ... suggest dosing fenbendazole at the rate of 20 mg/kg of body weight for three consecutive days, as this is the minimum dosage that has proven to be 100% against all worms (except tapeworms).

Remember that they're in the UK and stuff like that is not as easy to come by, I think.

I am hopefully picking up some flubenvet tonight from a local vet. The panacur is available but not near me, and the weather at the moment isn't helping :p
Someone on here told me I could use frontline but I asked on a new thread and was told strictly no. Confused now lol

Back
Top Bottom