very injured duck in need of help

ill change out the plain water in my spray bottle for a salt water mix then. just finished moving her to a better box (she decided she wanted to move around and the other one wasnt really big enough for that) with a bit of room to turn around and stretch out if wanted and sides high enough to cover it without her head constantly hitting the top. shes a bit traumatized, but not sure just how much. responding well (relaxing a bit) to a calm voice and gentle petting (her head is about the only place that seems mostly painfree), but got spooked when my cat decided to see what she was doing inside (he used to spend time in the brooder with her). got a little panicky when my pup wanted to see too (birds all got acclimated to him from the day i got them and the dog to them, and is very well behaved with them. was the neighbors dog that did the injuries not mine), pup backed off as soon as she started and she calmed down quickly.

have her covered now with some fresh yogurt with a little advil in there (estimated the dosage, only put about a pinhead (metal flat head size not the ball type) of a crushed 200mg tablet) doubt she will eat all or even much of it since she is showing no interest in it. might try making up some warm soupy mush from feed pellets later and trying that.
I've never seen my ducks eat yogurt when I put it out for the chickens. But she may show some interest in some warm soupy feed eventually. If you can keep her up where the dog can't peak in she may feel better right now she probably just sees a dog and I'm sure that is making her feel a bit scared. How did the dog get in your yard jump or dig in?

Last edited:
the box shes in is on a table, now that shes in a box with higher sides she cant really see out of it.

as for how the neighbors dog got her, apparently she found a way through or under the fence and went exploring. already went out blocked off the entire fence (only fence that isnt chainlink) with 2ft high plastic safety fencing. neighbor found her under one of his bushes and brought her over to me. if his dog had gotten in i would likely have a lot more wounded birds and probably some dead ones, maybe even a hurt dog (not sure if my pup would protect my birds or join in on chasing them)

the box shes in is on a table, now that shes in a box with higher sides she cant really see out of it.

as for how the neighbors dog got her, apparently she found a way through or under the fence and went exploring. already went out blocked off the entire fence (only fence that isnt chainlink) with 2ft high plastic safety fencing. neighbor found her under one of his bushes and brought her over to me. if his dog had gotten in i would likely have a lot more wounded birds and probably some dead ones, maybe even a hurt dog (not sure if my pup would protect my birds or join in on chasing them)
My worst pet peeve is people letting their dogs run loose and have no idea what their up too. I'm glad none of the rest were hurt. Please keep us updated on how she is doing. we're all pulling for her.

Just a note on the salt water - In horses I was told that many of our applications such as betadine, things that we manufacture synthetically, actually harm the fragile cells and prevent healing. Animals have really fantastic healing capabilities and are not prone to infection as much as we are and manufactured antiseptics are too strong and get in the way of this natural healing process. Salt water at the right concentration keeps the wound clean and encourages the natural healing process of the animal and you save your antibacterials and antiseptics for the certain cases they are needed for when destroying healthy cells is necessary to also kill a stronger infection.

I now barely use my iodine and other things, and use salt water on birds cats and horses alike.

Just a note on the salt water - In horses I was told that many of our applications such as betadine, things that we manufacture synthetically, actually harm the fragile cells and prevent healing. Animals have really fantastic healing capabilities and are not prone to infection as much as we are and manufactured antiseptics are too strong and get in the way of this natural healing process. Salt water at the right concentration keeps the wound clean and encourages the natural healing process of the animal and you save your antibacterials and antiseptics for the certain cases they are needed for when destroying healthy cells is necessary to also kill a stronger infection.

I now barely use my iodine and other things, and use salt water on birds cats and horses alike.
That's interesting K thanks, I had always been told on here that watered down betadine to look like weak tea was good to use. and no peroxide after initial application to clean.

How's the patient this morning?

Last edited:
Thinking of your injured duck this morning.
hugs.gif

shes alive and a little talkative this morning. still not eating (tried a warm soft mash of her normal pellet food) so i dosed her water last night since shes at least drinking, with any luck once it kicks in a bit she might start feeling like eating.

unfortunatly she is being uncooperative with i try checking her for more wounds or even try rebandaging her neck (still has first bandage on). i have a friend who at one point was training to be a vet nurse (not sure if she still is), ive sent an email to her asking for help with getting that taken care up. only problem there is that i dont know when she will get the email or if she will be able to find time to come by, but shes the only one i know who might be able to lend a second pair of hands and is willing to handle the birds.

managed to secure her with a towel enough to start changing the bandage (barely), it looks like she does have a small hole in her crop afterall. does that mean no chance of recovery or can that heal up?

Last edited:
shes alive and a little talkative this morning. still not eating (tried a warm soft mash of her normal pellet food) so i dosed her water last night since shes at least drinking, with any luck once it kicks in a bit she might start feeling like eating.

unfortunatly she is being uncooperative with i try checking her for more wounds or even try rebandaging her neck (still has first bandage on). i have a friend who at one point was training to be a vet nurse (not sure if she still is), ive sent an email to her asking for help with getting that taken care up. only problem there is that i dont know when she will get the email or if she will be able to find time to come by, but shes the only one i know who might be able to lend a second pair of hands and is willing to handle the birds.

managed to secure her with a towel enough to start changing the bandage (barely), it looks like she does have a small hole in her crop afterall. does that mean no chance of recovery or can that heal up?
I'm glad to hear she seems to be improving, most anything needs to be done to my ducks[ thank goodness no serious injury but still I am the one that does it, I wrap them in a big towel so they can't get out then sit them on my lap, it may take a bit of maneuvering but I'd at least get the bandage off so some air can get to it. Then if you have some kind of antiseptic with out pain relief in it that you can spray on it then you wouldn't have to touch it. One reason I like Veterycin spray. I've even brought them inside wrapped in a towel sat on the floor and put my legs over top of them to hold them still while working on them.Towel has to be wrapped pretty tight to keep them from getting out of it. You could even tape her legs together then wrap in a towel , for as long as it takes to remove bandage and clean up better.Or tape the towel around her to keep it in place.

Last edited:
will the hole i found in the crop heal or is it something that absolutely needs a vet to even stand a chance? only assuming its the crop since its in a similar location to the chickens ive butchered (havent butchered any ducks yet, been trying to get a growing flock before venturing there since where i am i can have drakes but not roosters). if its something that wont heal without a vet then i might have to put her down, hard fact but it would be a choice between fedding me and everyone (cat, dog, and my entire flock) for probably 2-3 months (or more) or saving a single duck with no guarantee of survival. even a scheduled vet trip (only vets here that i know of only see cats and dogs) for a checkup is nearly a months food bill.

If she is drinking and no water coming out then it may not be into the crop,which ducks don't actually have one, so another reason to get the bandage off so you can see what's going on then decide what you think.

Back
Top Bottom