Very Interested in Doves

usschicago1

Suburban Cochins
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Taunton, MA
Hello,
Lately I have an interest in Doves. I think they are absolutely beautiful! I love the white Ringneck doves and ground doves. Anyone have any tips in raising these? If I were to release these around my house would they come back? As you can tell I know nothing about them, I would love to hear your hints, website links and suggestions on breeds/info for beginners.
Thanks,
Mark
I JUST REALIZED RINGNECKS ARE LOUD, ARE THERE ANY QUIT DOVES OR PIGEONS

Last edited:
I have a few white ringneck dove and LOVE them!!!
love.gif
They are my favorites, I have had them for at least 10 years. Yes they are loud if you were to keep them in the house, but mine are outside and it is not a problem. They are also easily tamed and will land on you and eat out of your hand. I also have Senegal Doves also called African Laughing Doves. They are so much quieter than the whites. Their coo is soft and sweet. They are very pretty too. I have Diamond Doves too, their coo sounds like a flute. As you can see - I really like Doves!

Here is a pic of my Senegal Doves

1196_dsc_0149.jpg

Lisa
smile.png

I wouldn't call Ringneck doves loud, they do coo a lot but it is a pleasant sound. Doves are not like pigeons, they don't 'home'. Most breeds of pigeons will stay close to home if you turn them out, doves won't do that. Besides, if you have white doves most likely they'd get eaten by hawks.

Personally I love my ringnecks, they are the sweetest little birds! My 'bathroom baby' is cooing right now and it's not loud or annoying. You can see pics of my ringnecks on this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=457651

I have a male white ring-neck dove. I keep him in the house though in a cage and he also comes out on his play stand and flies around when I can supervise him. He is a CHARACTER and has variations of his laughing that range from a nervous twitter to a pshcyotic mental patient. He loves to be held and sit on my shoulder or arm and bows and does his little dance that the male doves do (to people as well as objects such as cups and the phone).
hmm.png

Would definitely recommend doves as pets! Mine does make a bit of noise wanting attention, etc. but it is nothing like the shrill pitch of some of the parrots out there.

Male ringnecks can be pretty vocal, and are louder than pigeons, but I love the sound of their call and laughing. If you want something you can let go outside and it NOT fly away, then you'll want pigeons. Doves cannot be released. If the sound is that big of an issue, then get hens.

Hey Everyone !
smile.png

Thanks for your replies ! I have decided to go with white homers
smile.png
I can't wait to get them. I really wanted to put a pair of diamond doves in with them too, but I hear they will need heat in winter, which is an expense I don't want right now.
So Yah, Homing pigeons! Wohoo!
celebrate.gif

Shellyd2008 love your doves !
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom