Very Interesting Drake/Hen.....

This duck came from a very reliable breeder. Trust me. So while I think it was an honest mistake, I know she (he?) isn't old.

She has spoken to the breeder.
Does the breeder keep all bird ages separate? Because it's quite easy to mix up one or two every now and then. I've gotten tons of birds that were actually breeders and not juveniles. Good for me but not the seller. Even Pinola screwed up and sent me a 2 year old hen.

View attachment 3450027
This is Jax. I'm not 100% sure about his age, but I suspect he hatched late Spring/Summer 2022. Since this duck doesn't have a drake feather, still has an audible quack, shows absolutely no interest in even attempting to mount a hen, even one that's basically begging, has an incorrect (more feminine) bill color, I'm beginning to suspect something else is going on. At such a young age, I wouldn't suspect a damaged ovary but what about a deformed ovary? Has anyone experienced anything like this? He was already feathered out completely whenever I got him, so I'm not sure about anything before December 2022. He was sold to me as a drake. Please share if you've ever seen anything like this. I'm tagging @Pyxis in hopes of getting her input, but I welcome anyone to chime in. Thank you for your time.

Side note: All of the SoundCloud links are to the same recording. Had trouble linking it.

Listen to Jax.m4a by HeatherKB on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/GMFfS
That isn't a full on female quack to my ear either.
Actually reminds me of a juvenile drake.

Drake feather often means nothing. It could have molted out, been pulled out by another duck.. or for whatever reason it just hasn't grown one.
Occasionally a female will pop up with what looks like a drake feather too.
So that is an unreliable way to tell.

Zero interest in breeding..
Hmm. A year old drake normally would be more active. But again. Unreliable sign as sometimes they just aren't as active as other drakes and i see tons of girl on girl action in my duck pen sooo..

Color wise,
I had a female that laid eggs so was an obvious female and she had a white neck ring typical of a drake.
So. Color can be screwy too. 😄

I vote lock it up and see if it lays eggs.
I think you either have a screwey colored girl, or you have a juvenile drake that's just behind in development.

If it's neither of those..
Then it's what MGG said, but it could be that it isn't old, just hatched with a reproductive issue or is a hermaphrodite.

Those are my thoughts. 🙃

Does the breeder keep all bird ages separate? Because it's quite easy to mix up one or two every now and then. I've gotten tons of birds that were actually breeders and not juveniles. Good for me but not the seller. Even Pinola screwed up and sent me a 2 year old hen.
I would imagine they do, yes.

This has been some really interesting information. Thank you!

@MGG if vent sexing is easy and safe on adult ducks, I'd be really grateful if you could teach me how to do it. I'd love to figure this duck out.

I agree with Shaw that Jax does sound more like a juvenile drake, but he seems to have more voice than I've ever heard from any other drakes. I'm just so confused about this duck. He's sounded this way the entire time I've had him. I expected changes like I've always seen in ducks. My Pekin drakes were slow to mature and one kept his quacky hen voice for a long time, but not this long. I'd be absolutely over the moon if he just matured overnight because even though his bill color isn't right, his body is really nice and he/she is a really sweet duck. Jax is in his own coop and run for now. He is in between a flock of Calls and a flock of Aztec's so he still has the company of fellow ducks.

If a hen suffers from a damaged ovary, does her voice remain the same as her plumage changes or is there some changing to more of a raspy drake like voice?

I really hope Jax is just super slow to mature. The breeder suggested that maybe he is just shy and that explains why I've not witnessed any mating behavior, but after listening to the voice recording, the breeder isn't so sure.

Thank you again for these informational replies! If I figure this duck out, I'll be sure to update. I'd love to hear anything else anyone thinks of

I should also add that whenever I reached out to the breeder, they remembered my pair right away, because of the bill color. I ended up with Jax because I needed a really small drake.

Just wanted to share this info in case anyone is wondering why a reputable breeder would send out a duck with such an obvious fault.

Last edited:
This has been some really interesting information. Thank you!

@MGG if vent sexing is easy and safe on adult ducks, I'd be really grateful if you could teach me how to do it. I'd love to figure this duck out.

I agree with Shaw that Jax does sound more like a juvenile drake, but he seems to have more voice than I've ever heard from any other drakes. I'm just so confused about this duck. He's sounded this way the entire time I've had him. I expected changes like I've always seen in ducks. My Pekin drakes were slow to mature and one kept his quacky hen voice for a long time, but not this long. I'd be absolutely over the moon if he just matured overnight because even though his bill color isn't right, his body is really nice and he/she is a really sweet duck. Jax is in his own coop and run for now. He is in between a flock of Calls and a flock of Aztec's so he still has the company of fellow ducks.

If a hen suffers from a damaged ovary, does her voice remain the same as her plumage changes or is there some changing to more of a raspy drake like voice?

I really hope Jax is just super slow to mature. The breeder suggested that maybe he is just shy and that explains why I've not witnessed any mating behavior, but after listening to the voice recording, the breeder isn't so sure.

Thank you again for these informational replies! If I figure this duck out, I'll be sure to update. I'd love to hear anything else anyone thinks of
Yes, it is easy and safe if it's done gently and the right way. Usually drakes are more than happy to... expose themselves. Lol. I can PM you, I don't think my texting app is working well.

He's adorable, I hope he's just a very late bloomer for you.

I vote for late blooming drake. I have a few young ones that don’t show much interest in mating yet, they kinda stick together in a bachelor group. If a duck hasn’t “chosen” them as her man, they oftentimes just hang out together.

As far as him not showing interest in mating, mine seem to be more rowdy at only certain times of day. Especially around sundown-dusk, so could you have just missed it? Maybe he’s shy lol

I'm thinking it's possible that Jax hatched this past fall, instead of spring, like I'd thought. Even though Calls are typically seasonal layers, it's not that uncommon for some to lay in the fall, as many of you know from experience. Of course since most drakes keep things fertilized year round, this seems like a possibility in my mind. That'd still make him a little slow to mature, but not quite as worrisome as I've been thinking. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Of course vent sexing would bring certainty to Jax's sex. I even have a wonderful intelligent young lady willing to walk me through it, but I haven't managed to find the courage just yet. I'm working on it ☺️

I have Lylah, my very first Call Duck, in with Jax and he really seems to be enjoying that. Both of them are the sweetest and most gentle ducks ever. Although they have similar personalities, the size difference, as shown in this picture, is kinda funny. I adore these two
20230402_210515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom