Very large crop - and I mean big

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
My Black Copper Marans has a softball size crop... I don't know whether it's a problem or not. I notice that it is spongy sometimes and hard other times. Life has been a bit crazy here, but I'll try and check it in the morning to see if it's spongy.

She is a bit strange - She's 9 mos old and she's only laid about 5 eggs at 8 mos old and they were giant size, almost double yolker size. Her comb is nice and red and it doesn't seem that she's in distress.
idunno.gif

Would like to hear about your ideas on this one... please!
fl.gif

Take away all food tonight and check crop in the morning (before she eats anything). The crop should be empty. If not, she may be impacted. Softball size is not too big, my impacted girl was easily double that size. If impacted, start with giving olive oil and massage gently to help break things up. Just dont massage up or it can cause the contents on the crop to enter the airway.

Thanks so much. I checked her this morning and her crop felt spongy... I believe it was empty. Maybe I should have checked her and another chicken to get a sense of the two. I'll do that tomorrow.

That is a good sign that she is passing her food. If still unsure, you could still give her some olive oil soaked bread, she will like that and it can help the crop.

Thanks so much chickenlady....
bow.gif
I'll give them all some of the olive oil and bread - they'll love it. I really don't have a place to separate her now... my extra/indoor pen has 5 month olds in it.
big_smile.png

But why does she have such a large crop? Could it have been stretched out for some reason? I didn't really notice it until she became about 8 or 9 months old. I've only been raising chickens for 1 1/2 years, but have never seen this with the others. Maybe breed? (I will contact the breeder and ask her too.)

They all get to free range 99% of the time so I really don't think it is related to grit, but maybe something she ate. Who knows what she might have found in the woods.
idunno.gif

You're the best.... thanks so much.

Sounds like she may have just pigged out on something. I have a bunch of chickens who eat so much that they can barely move, then again, I have others who barely eat and the crops never get enlarged. I wouldnt worry about it unless you wake up in the morning and her crop is very large. It usually takes about 4 hours to empty a crop. She could have had something stuck but then got unstuck. hard to guess. If it was empty, you and she will be just fine. No need to separate her.

Update - Olive oil hasn't worked, though they've enjoyed it
tongue.png
. I've been keeping track and she's got a golf ball size something in her crop ... and it doesn't come out and it seems to be what's blocking the emptying of her crop. I try and massage it everyday...when I can.

I talked to our vet and she researched and thinks that she might be able to pull it out with forcepts... I think I'm gonna give it a try... or I should say - let her give it a try - I'm a wimp. If that doesn't work then I'll be looking for someone to perform the surgery. I've got some nurse friends... but no surgeons. The surgery, if performed by the vet is >$300. Honestly that's way beyond realistic. If I had the extra money I think I'd just give the money to someone in need.

thanks all

Back
Top Bottom