Huge Crop: When to Intervene?

May 29, 2019
Today I noticed that my 4.5 y/o RIR has a massive crop, more than usual. I noticed it slightly swings left and right when she runs and, I dunno, just seems really big. It feels firm but with give--not hard or anything.

At what point should I worry or keep her from eating or drinking? I don't want to be too hasty since she is acting very bright and energetic and I did see her poop (normal for her, which is formed but slightly runny). I'm wondering if she maybe got a mouse or something big in there.

She'd finished up molting a month ago, and her comb has been getting redder, so it could just seem really big because she's eating more than she had been. Below are pictures, though they don't capture its size well, which feels like a baseball or softball. I'm worried because she's scratching around outside and eating away--and I don't want her to add to a problem.

20231027_164900.jpg

20231027_164859.jpg

20231027_164853.jpg

Last edited:
Today I noticed that my 4.5 y/o RIR has a massive crop, more than usual. I noticed it slightly swings left and right when she runs and, I dunno, just seems really big.

At what point should I worry or keep her from eating or drinking? I don't want to be too hasty since she is acting very bright and energetic
Check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it's empty, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's not empty, then re-check the next morning. If still not empty, then address the symptom according to this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Is her crop fully emptying overnight? If you aren't sure then you need to check first thing in the morning before they start eating/drinking. Just feel in her crop area, it should be completely flat. If her crop is emptying fully at night then you don't have anything to worry about.
Based on the photos it looks like a normal full crop.
It has been emptying. Checked two mornings in a row. I think she's just beefing up.. maybe her body is telling her to get ready to lay again. Thank you for your advice!

Check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it's empty, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's not empty, then re-check the next morning. If still not empty, then address the symptom according to this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for the resources! Luckily, it's been emptying just fine. I think now that she's well past her molt she's back to gorging herself.

Back
Top Bottom