Very Lethargic 2 month old chicken

Rheo- think u ought to consider antibiotic. My loss is at 11 dead. 5 Wednesday 6 today! My coop is clean and tidy The antibiots seem to be helping 15 of the remaing 30 are up moving again drinking and eating the remaining 15 I'm not so sure if they will make it 5 are standing in one spot and haven't moved in hours 10 are lying Dow tails in the air with beaks on the ground supporting their heads. It's sad and I've done all I can do. It did seem to help when I picked them up one by one allowing the fluid to run out of their mouths !
The symptoms you've described in your birds, their ages, the fact that they've recently been put out in the coop....all are classic for coccidiosis. Have you not tried treating for that? If that's what your birds have antibiotic's will not cure it. Some may be able to survive it, many will die, as you've seen already. At their age, unless you are seeing other obvious signs of disease such as respiratory symptoms I'd highly suspect coccidiosis is what you are dealing with. It would certainly be worth it to treat for it, you just might save the rest of them. If that's not what it is then at least you've ruled it out and can move on. You can also get a dead bird necropsied, preferable by a state lab. Then you will have an exact diagnosis as to what is going on in your flock. But in my humble opinion coccidiosis is your biggest suspect.

Antibiotics are all I had to start with. Everyone local is out of amprol and corid I've got it ordered off amazon and the local stores are trying to get me some the nearest store with it on the shelf is 50 miles away. I'm headed there in the morning! I'm 24 miles from the nearest feed store.

Medicated chick starter will not treat an active case of coccidiosis, unfortunately. Some antibiotics will treat cocci, so they are good to give until you get Corid (amprollium.) There is some literature that says that oxytetracycline and chlortetracycline will treat cocci, and the sulfa drugs are commonly used to treat it, but Corid is the only drug that gets all 9 or more chicken strains of cocci.

Excerpt from Merck Veterinary Manual
Drugs for Treatment of Coccidiosis in Chickens a

Drug

Feed or Water

Use Level, Treatment Duration

Withdrawal Time (days)

Amprolium

Water

0.012%–0.024%, 3–5 days; 0.006%, 1–2 wk

Chlortetracycline

Feed

0.022% + 0.8% calcium, not more than 3 wk

Oxytetracycline

Feed

0.022% + 0.18%–0.55% calcium, not more than 5 days

Sodium sulfachloropyrazine monohydrate

Water

0.03%, 3 days

Sulfadimethoxine

Water

0.05%, 6 days

Sulfamethazine (sulfadimidine)

Water

0.1%, 2 days; 0.05%, 4 days

Toltrazuril

Water

25 ppm, 2 days

NAb

a Approved in the USA, except for toltrazuril

b Not applicable

I had to go out for the day so left the sick one in the brooder situation under the heat lamp.

I went asking around at the feed stores and nobody has Corid. Hadn't even heard of it.

They know of the disease but they don't sell a treatment for it.

They could order the sulpha stuff. It would take a week or two.

But the good news is the chicken seems alot better now. Some warmth and rest seemed to have done her good.

I also put Poul-Vite in the water so maybe that helped as well.

I found all of theses either on Amazon and Ebay...But found one local store only 30 miles away instead of 50 that carried several varieties. Corid can be found at Tractor Supply most of the time. They were out, as it is used mostly on cattle around here.

The antibiotic seem to hold it at bay a little, giving a few of the chicks an extra boost. I Picked up two types of meds "Sulmet"( (Sulfamethazine sodium) Drinking Water Solution 12.5 ($12.50) and "Durvet" Sulfadimethoxine - Soluble Powder ($15.95) The Amprol I had to order on EBAY is on its way, and will be here in 4 days. At least I will have it on hand if I have another outbreak......

The Drinking water solution can only be given for 5 days...The Powder 6 Days

Along with medicated chick feed....

At 330 pm I found 4 more dead this afternoon, That brings my total to 15 dead, and 30 looking sickly Folks I am worried, Ive got a pen of BLRW chicks, 30 cochin bantams chicks in another pen 100 feet away, and have two batches getting ready to hatch. I honestly have never encountered so many problems, as soon as I began introducing new lines into my pens is when it all started..

I gave everyone fresh medicated feed and the new water solution of Sulmet, and after several hours they seemed to start perking up a little by dark, moving around more, drinking more, and eating more, as well as starting to take to the perches again, as well as going into the hen house to sleep.. Its a good sign, but I am not getting my hopes up, 4 GLW, 2 EE, and 4 CCM's don't look to well right now. But the others are really doing well. Its not affecting my Japanese Bantams, or my Guniea. I haven't figured that out, I thought for sure I would lose my bantams first because they are so small, they are in the best shape as if they are not phased by the illness..........

After the first 5 days of medicating, anyone know how long I should wait to administer another dose If I have too! Like I said before, this is the first season I have every had issues like these!

Total loss as of today 17 my gold laced wyandotte were hit the hardest only 4 left of 12 they were my favorites too. And 6 EE are left of 9 and 9 CCM of 12 only one 1/2 breed of 8 are left

Hate that too a cousin just lost his entire flock to a pack of coyotes I was raising a few for him.

Sumet seemed to stop and heal the majority of the little guys. No adults were lost who free range nearby none are showing any signs of sickness today. Ill cross my fingers

Wow, sorry you lost so many.
hugs.gif

-Kathy

Me too! I Hopefully it's the end of it! I was more worried about winter on its way! Guess the survivors have a better chance of making it. The ones that bounced back you can't tell they were ever sick! I'm just worried about a rebound! I'll take it one day at a time.

Hard parts going to be breaking the news to my cousin they were taking all the extras I wasn't going to keep!

Back
Top Bottom