Very LOUD Hen!

Do you have a golf ball in the nest box? We got some laying hens and my Lacie May picked up right away well we got a new girl named marilyn she is Welli and she is LOUD I mean LOUD love to sing the egg song for Lacie but sings it louder for herself....so we originally had 1 golf ball added an extra and Marilyn saw lacie lay her egg and after sqwaking ALL day she settled in with the golf balls and laid her egg....

I have 10 nest boxes.....22 birds and they ALL lay in the same nest! It talkes all day for them to lay!

I was HORRIFIED the first time I heard how loud they could be! I've got just four but they are in a suburban back yard and the coop is not the required 50 feet away from the neighbor's house. I finally got up the nerve to ask him if the noise bothered him and he assured me that it did not and that he had grown up with chickens. So I promised him some eggs.
smile.png

many of my hens are more talkative than the roosters. 1 RIR carries on everytime she squeezes out an egg. I have been on my land 1/4 mile away and heard her. My Sumatra hens love to talk. Some days they never shut up. A few sound like they are laughing. Others...just talking. Earlier today about 10 of them were carrying on so much, I walked out of my workshop and asked them " whats the problem girls?" and they stopped. Then followed me to the shop and begged for corn.......

Quote:
Mine all lay in the same nest too. I have 6 girls and two nests. They will "smack talk" the one who is in the nest they want, and she will grumble back- but they all eventually get in and lay- sometimes two at a time. Aren't chickens funny?

Sometimes they can sing a couple days before they lay, so perhaps she was practicing her egg song........ But my girls are very loud if it is after sun up and the coop door is not open for there free roaming!

So many noisy chicken stories! I love that all 22 hens use the same box, what silly girls! I have a golf ball in my nest box, I am hoping to inspire the ladies to get to work. I am feeling hopeful after hearing your stories that maybe there will be an egg waiting at home for me, or hopefully in the next couple days. I love the chickies noisy or not, though it did startle me this morning; I actually ran out in my undies I was so worried that there was something in the coop- I didn't even bother with pants! Luckily the neighbors seemed to still be sleeping- (I don't know how they were through Dottie's serenade)
D.gif

I've got a BO who just started laying a few days ago. About a week before she started squawking up a storm every morning. This morning it started at 6:30. We live in an urban area - I'm sure our neighbors can hear her too. My beloved is threatening to pack her up and ship her off if she keeps it up.
sad.png
That would be sad because she has laid every day now (for 5 days) and I think she is the prettiest of the 4 we have.

If anybody has a suggestion to get her to zip it, or at least lower the volume, that would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Julie

Quote:
I also live in an urban area on a small lot - when my loud-mouth starts in- sometimes she can get the whole flock to join in- but I keep a container of rolled oats by the door and go throw a couple of handfuls out in their run- they scramble for it and it shuts them right up! Scratch also works- but if I'm out- I'll use rolled oats/stale bread/leftovers/ whatever is on hand. They are voracious eaters and can't eat and cackle at the same time- ha! don't give away your loud-mouth because another will just take her place in the noise department- it's best to distract them.
They can be extremely quiet for days on end too- mine are in "molt" right now and so quiet I don't even know I have chickens- ha.

Last edited:
I was pretty surprised to find out how loud our six hens could be. However, I have noticed that they've quieted down a lot since starting to lay in early August. At first, however, I was running out to the coop around 6:30 a.m. which is generally when they started making a racket. If I let them out into the yard they quieted down but often if one started an egg song, the others joined in. For a while I worried whether the neighbors would start complaining but luckily all of the hens now just do an occasional egg song. Hopefully with time, yours will quiet down too.

Back
Top Bottom