VERY muddy run, please help

aart is absolutely correct, you've got a drainage issue for starters. Dig a ditch through the run so that the water can get away, and fill it with course gravel or river rock. Then put down a thick layer of mulch in the run. This should solve future mud problems.

Woodchips. Lots of woodchips. I live near a swamp in what once was a rice field. It drains weekly. Very weakly. Rains daily. The yard is a sodden mess of thick, heavy clay. I'm adding woodchips. Lots of woodchips.

My other plan is to move to higher ground. Too bad there isn't any in the coastal plains.

Not necessarily a drainage issue. Don't know what type of soil OP has, but even crowned clay soil that drains well can get yucky muddy. The clay gets wet, then chickens leave foot impressions in it that collect water. Once that happens the clay starts absorbing water and it's downhill from there. A real mess. Sand and rock are the only things that I've found that can prevent this process. My run has sand on top and it never gets muddy. But right outside where there is no sand it gets yucky muddy.

Agreed, time of year can have a huge bearing. In the winter, when a warm day hits, the top inch or so of soil will thaw, the snow will start to melt, and the resulting slurry can suck your boots off. The water HAS NO WHERE TO GO when the ground is frozen. If this is a seasonal issue, can OP put down some pallets in the run? If this is NOT a seasonal (frozen ground/snow melting) issue, then, drainage correction, and build up of run with DL would be a "fix".

Sand,sand, then some more sand. Digging a drainage ditch is helpful...till the ducks get their beaks i t it and fill it all in for you lol. Coarse sand and construction sand. If there is a riverbed near you you may find some sand there, pile it into sacks along with any smaller river stones that are mixed in, and fill up the muddy areas till the ground level is 5-10 inches or more higher than now. Sand is great to drain off the water and isn't smelly and mucky even in really wet weather it stays well drained. I tried bark, mulch, shavings stones, you name it, sand was by far the best to sort out the mud. This winter I plan to put it pretty much everywhere, as much of it as i can get my hands on!

Someone asked for pictures so here they are. I have added a pic of the run without ducks which is far less muddy.

Attachments

• D8298749-2D0B-4C40-ACFE-0C177BAF42AE.jpeg
    D8298749-2D0B-4C40-ACFE-0C177BAF42AE.jpeg
    661.7 KB · Views: 87
  • B9B7AEAF-343B-4802-9A57-A11AD25869A0.jpeg
    B9B7AEAF-343B-4802-9A57-A11AD25869A0.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 85
  • EC804C65-DCE8-442A-8C02-27BC5D90982A.jpeg
    EC804C65-DCE8-442A-8C02-27BC5D90982A.jpeg
    711.4 KB · Views: 83

Back
Top Bottom