Very noisy bantam chicks- Help!

When weening my quail & chicken chicks off of heat, I use an LED type night light. Very very low electric consumption, low light, but enough to keep the monsters behind your living room couch and not disturbing your babies. I've had this method transition them in as little as two days, and for the very stubborn chicks, as much as one week. Your mileage may vary, but the cost to try it with your flock is minimal. Best of luck :)

When weening my quail & chicken chicks off of heat, I use an LED type night light. Very very low electric consumption, low light, but enough to keep the monsters behind your living room couch and not disturbing your babies. I've had this method transition them in as little as two days, and for the very stubborn chicks, as much as one week. Your mileage may vary, but the cost to try it with your flock is minimal. Best of luck :)

Sounds like a great idea! They've finally turned off their mouths for the night and are presumably sleeping now, so if tomorrow night onward the same thing keep happening and they're not adjusting well, I might have to give this a go :).
It probably annoys the parents more than it does me, it worries me more than it annoys me; my dad likes to hangout in the kitchen at night with his laptop, watching videos and laughing (and probably keeping them awake -_-, I've been [respectfully, lol] trying to get them to turn off the lights by 8:30 and take it to their room so we don't all have to hear endless peeping).

I gotta ask.
How old are you hon?.
Im curious, never saw a young person trying to shush chicks lol!
I think your mom and I may be related, im seeing some similarites mainly impulse chick purchases.
Oh let your dad watch his videos and stuff, just make him keep the lights low.
His noise will actually help in the transition.;)
Sounds like a great idea! They've finally turned off their mouths for the night and are presumably sleeping now, so if tomorrow night onward the same thing keep happening and they're not adjusting well, I might have to give this a go :).
It probably annoys the parents more than it does me, it worries me more than it annoys me; my dad likes to hangout in the kitchen at night with his laptop, watching videos and laughing (and probably keeping them awake -_-, I've been [respectfully, lol] trying to get them to turn off the lights by 8:30 and take it to their room so we don't all have to hear endless peeping).

I gotta ask.
How old are you hon?.
Im curious, never saw a young person trying to shush chicks lol!
I think your mom and I may be related, im seeing some similarites mainly impulse chick purchases.
Oh let your dad watch his videos and stuff, just make him keep the lights low.
His noise will actually help in the transition.;)

I'm 27 years old, just stuck at home for a bit while teaching myself Python coding, programming, IT stuff, etc~
I worked nights for years in a crappy warehouse job with a lowish wage and terribly hot and not-so-safe conditions, was living with a girl who eventually dumped me, kicked me out, and moved another guy in; I had no savings really so I had to move back home with the parents until I get my skills up to par for a better, generally easier and better money-making job :).
I really like certain animals, studying behavior in both people and animals, and generally I like animals MORE than people, so I just wanna make sure those little impulse-buy chicks do as well as they can, lol! My mom started it all with three chicks from TSC, a Barred Rock, Orpington, and a lucky Cream Legbar. While helping her raise them I learned just how fun, cute, smart, and overall great chickens are, so at this point I actually might be more obsessed with them than she is, lol! I walk around with the three pullets outside all the time, letting them free-range in our large yard, and they give us yummy eggs every day :). Eventually, hopefully very soon we will have the new large coop and run + fenced in area all built and done and can integrate the new chicks with the older pullets. It's gonna be great!

Wow! Good on you, life served you a sh*t sandwich and you chose artisan rye bread, asked for a pickle and chips and made it a lovely meal instead of the awful it tried to be
Very rare these days, im impressed very, very impressed :)
I'm 27 years old, just stuck at home for a bit while teaching myself Python coding, programming, IT stuff, etc~
I worked nights for years in a crappy warehouse job with a lowish wage and terribly hot and not-so-safe conditions, was living with a girl who eventually dumped me, kicked me out, and moved another guy in; I had no savings really so I had to move back home with the parents until I get my skills up to par for a better, generally easier and better money-making job :).
I really like certain animals, studying behavior in both people and animals, and generally I like animals MORE than people, so I just wanna make sure those little impulse-buy chicks do as well as they can, lol! My mom started it all with three chicks from TSC, a Barred Rock, Orpington, and a lucky Cream Legbar. While helping her raise them I learned just how fun, cute, smart, and overall great chickens are, so at this point I actually might be more obsessed with them than she is, lol! I walk around with the three pullets outside all the time, letting them free-range in our large yard, and they give us yummy eggs every day :). Eventually, hopefully very soon we will have the new large coop and run + fenced in area all built and done and can integrate the new chicks with the older pullets. It's gonna be great!

Wow! Good on you, life served you a sh*t sandwich and you chose artisan rye bread, asked for a pickle and chips and made it a lovely meal instead of the awful it tried to be
Very rare these days, im impressed very, very impressed :)
My family is very luckily pretty normal and stable, I also have a little bro in college right now :). I had my share of self-created problems when I was a teenager/very young adult, put my parents through plenty of hair-raising crap, wasted some time after high school, bailed out of college, but I got my crap together eventually, I just had bad luck/judgment with the girl and the crap job that I spent years on, so I'm trying to get to the point where I can sustain myself (and chickens!) without relying on help or luck, and a warehouse job is NOT the way to do that X). I'm a pretty fast learner when I am interested in something, I self taught myself Japanese to the point where I can read, write, speak, listen conversationally, so I know I can teach myself coding and programming, I've always been pretty good with computers :). Computers are everywhere now, so it seemed like a good field to get into- jobs everywhere, always people needed!

Hello, long-time lurker- Nice to finally be joined up here!
27 years old, have three 7 months old pullets, and some newer additions:
I just signed up specifically to ask this question, we have five chicks
(OEGB, Japanese bantam(male), 2x Cochin frizzle bantams, one Polish standard)
all currently housed together in a large dog cage in the living room while we are building a new coop and run, this is the best we can do at the moment.
(optimally we would've had them outside already as they are around 7 weeks old, but between my mother impulse-buying five chicks at random and us needing to build new housing for them, they've been stuck inside longer than I would've liked them to be)
I've researched extensively on how to properly take care of them and keep
them as comfortable as possible until we get them outside and integrated,
they always have food and water access, very occasional treats, and we let them roam the living room once a day for awhile, we keep the cage clean.
We recently turned off the heat lamp, they're old enough now, but I think the
darkness of the living room at night and/or the absence of the heat from the lamp is making them uncomfortable, for the past five days or so once we turn all the lights off, even if they are tired already(!), they begin a LOUD chorus of peeping for anywhere between 5-15 minutes. It's honestly not too annoying, and they're obviously not in danger or in need of anything specific, and they're completely fine during the day, happily doing chick things, but the tiny male Japanese bantam in particular is EXTREMELY loud. I mean, he's always the loudest and noisiest no matter the time of day, but when we go lights out,
he seriously ups the volume until I guess they all decide to go to sleep.

If I'm doing anything wrong or could do better, or if this is normal behavior while they get used to real darkness at night with no heat lamp, I'd really like to know;
don't hold back, please let me know if all's well or if I can do anything better!
Thanks,
- David :).

Heh, my chicks did the same thing when I turned the lights off! It took them a month or so before they realized the dark wasn't going to eat them. My husband and I ignored them (we use a humidifier for white noise in the bedroom), so they eventually learned we weren't going to race out there and "save" them from the dark, and they finally quit doing it altogether. Hang in there!

Heh, my chicks did the same thing when I turned the lights off! It took them a month or so before they realized the dark wasn't going to eat them. My husband and I ignored them (we use a humidifier for white noise in the bedroom), so they eventually learned we weren't going to race out there and "save" them from the dark, and they finally quit doing it altogether. Hang in there!

Oh no oh no, I HOPE we have the coop and such done before a month goes by, I PRAY we do, because a month of little loudmouth Japanese boy peep-screaming like he's getting eaten is going to turn the whole house batty X'D

Oh no oh no, I HOPE we have the coop and such done before a month goes by, I PRAY we do, because a month of little loudmouth Japanese boy peep-screaming like he's getting eaten is going to turn the whole house batty X'D

I hope they settle down soon too, for your sake! Consider investing in a white noise machine. It really helps to drown out their peeps. Even just a fan might be enough.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom