Very old cochin Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tongiechick, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Tongiechick

Tongiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    I have a very old cochin hen named Lula that i love quite a bit.

since it is only 3 degrees here in Tonganoxie kansas i have put my chickens in the basement. Just a few minutes ago i notice Lula had some blood on her foot. She "went to the bathroom" and all it was was a cloudy white liquid. i inspected her more closely a saw that one of her back toenails has almost been completely ripped out. she is about 5 years old now and i am very worried! please help if you can! I don't know what to do.

2. Tongiechick

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    her foot is bleeding enough it is levying smudges on the floor

3. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Use baby powder to clot the bleeding. It works wonderfully. I had an experience where I clipped my chickens wings too short and he started bleeding badly so I applied a load of baby powder on his wing and it dried the blood and clotted it and it stopped bleeding almost immediently

4. Tongiechick

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    im also worried about the actual tonail it is so loose it is bent under the foot and she is limping is there anything else i can do

5. Tongiechick

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    Thank you for your help

I got it cleaned up with warm water and it turns out it was not as bad as it seemed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by