Could this be gout on my 3 year old hen?

Netchicks

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2014
I noticed that one of my hens has severely enlarged feet and legs on both feet. I cleaned her feet and checked the bottom of both feet and did not see any obvious wounds just the swelling. Her toenails? (Spurs) are all very long as well. Any advice on how I should treat this? She is still walking around and eating. No other hen has this issue. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2939.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2940.jpeg
    IMG_2940.jpeg
    580.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    765 KB · Views: 8
It looks like it to me if there are no scabs visible.
What breed? Where are you located? Give me a rundown of their feed - all intake.
This type of gout would come from a problem processing protein.

They usually keep their talons trimmed by scratching in the dirt. Perhaps her legs hurt to the point that she doesn't want to do the normal scratching behavior. Do you see her doing that?

Last edited:
I live in the SF Bay Area 25 miles south of SF. I believe she is a New Hampshire red. I had both a New Hampshire red and a Rhode Island Red and it can be hard to tell them apart. I feed the girls Bar Ale pellets and sometimes treat them with a raw cabbage to peck at or some left over rice. It has been raining here so I haven’t been able to observe if she is scratching or not. I was reading online about feeding her tart cherry tablets? I am worried she might be in pain and if we should put her down. Not sure what to do. To make it worse I came down with Covid this morning and I have no energy to go and tend to her. Ugg

Back
Top Bottom