Very Pleased to Have found BackYard Chickens

Stormwarden

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
No, I'm not new to chickens just a bit rusty. I was raised around chickens for part of my childhood. Raised fryers, layers, turkeys and pheasants for personal use and enjoyment for around 9 years before moving for my company to an urban area with my young family. No chickens for the next 17 years.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? )
Zero chickens at this time. I have relocated back to my home state of Washington in the Pacific Northwest. Currently closing on a home with a few acres and have been reading up, watching videos, making plans and visiting farm stores with my wife and son. I can hardly wait to pickup where I left off with raising chickens. I have missed it more than I ever thought I would.

(3) What breeds do you have?
As I mentioned above I have none at the moment. However I have in the past raised CornishX, Rode Island Reds, Orpingtons, Silkies, Black Australorp, Cochins, Jersey Giants, Polish, Hamburg, Naked Neck (we called them Turkens) and various Banties. Sounds like a lot but many of these breeds I worked with as a youth with my parents who bred, hatched and sold these breeds as a hobby.

I am hoping before the end April I will be starting with American Bresse chicks and Speckled Sussex chicks.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I stumbled on the site while researching various questions on feed. I kept reading on one more topic after another and realized I was very much enjoying reading the conversations between the members of BackYard Chickens, was learning an awful lot from the various viewpoints and actual experience presented and realized I had found a group of people I could feel comfortable with.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I like to sail (not so much racing but cruising). I like to fish when I have time, especially for Pacific Salmon species. I like to tend growing things, garden and fruit trees the most. I like RTS games with family and friends on quiet evenings.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have three lovely, intelligent Daughters who have grown and left the nest. I have a Son who has a gentle heart and loves all things growing and alive and still lives with my wife and I. I have 2 son-in-laws, both exceptionally good men. My best buddy is Cooper who happens to be a Golden Retriever who never fails to shower me with endless expressions of love despite my many flaws. But Best of all I have a lovely wife who is probably the hardest working person I know and who shares and supports my dreams and aspirations. She has never raised chickens but is 100% ready to begin this adventure.

I look forward to the time I will spend getting to know this site and individuals who so willingly share their knowledge and experience to help others to successfully raise their chickens as well as increase their enjoyment of the process.

G’Day from down under Stormwarden :frow Welcome!

Thank you for sharing what is a lovely introduction and congratulations on your new home! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out as refreshers.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock or Cooper, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom