very red bare areas

soquili

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Just wondering how to treat very red featherless area on the bottom and tail areas of some of my chickens. Seem to be getting worse. These are my first , about a year old. Thanks

Interesting that you mentioned this. I just got this little A serama roo, 8 mo old and when I saw him at his breeder's house-he looked rough. The rest of her birds, even those exposed to him are in VG condition. When I went back 2 weeks later to get him, he looked even worse (at least I got a discount) She treats all her birds for mites and uses Ivermectin. Im a big fan of ADAMS and VET RX for buggy boos. Well she thinks hens were feather picking him???. I now have him in QT by himself, Ive done Adams, and VET RX and even neoporyin on the red bald patches. No visable signs of mites/lice (and trust me Ive had them and can spot them a mile away) I too am baffled by this condition and I am a long time chicken person, but have never seen this b4. Outside of looking awful...he is a happy normal roo. Oh and I did give him one dose of sulmet when he first arrived. Posting pics of him when I brought him home and he doesnt look much better now. Oh and he has it around his vent too...but I didnt do butt shots. My knee jerk reaction is to think mites/lice...but not in this case. :-/ Hopefully someone can enlighten us???? Id hate to think Im "treating" "moult" LOL!
78023_103_4702.jpg

78023_103_4704.jpg

78023_103_4682.jpg
78023_103_4664.jpg

Last edited:
My chickens look a lot like your pics only worse. Hope we find an answer, Thanks for the reply, I'm encouraged!

My chickens look a lot like your pics only worse. Hope we find an answer, Thanks for the reply, I'm encouraged!

I have a little bantam cochin frizzle roo that would allow one of my little black silkies to pull his feathers out. He sits there and pokes his head out and sits real still like he is waiting for her to groom him but instead she pulls his neck feathers out and eats them. She pulls them out of the same spot every time so he ended up with a golf ball sized bald spot on his neck right below his head. I just separated the two and his feathers are starting to grow back. May end up getting rid of the silkie as I have seen her attempting to try it on the other hens after I cut her off from the roo. Looked exactly like the bare spots on your little guy.

Two things here. First, the red skin is from being exposed to air or sun and it is normal for exposed skin to be red like that. Second, this is the wrong time of year for a moult, so something else is going on. Feather picking can be caused by boredome, but the most common cause is protien deficiency. If I were treating the condition, I would isolate the victem and increase the protien for both the pickee and the picker. Probably the whole flock would bennefit. Protien can be inexpensively increased by feeding a FEW (3-4) morsels per bird of dry cat food a couple times a week. Good luck..........Pop

I have the same problem my girls have picked each other above the tail and one of my blk astro has a bare bottom too.
I've read that cat food is not good for chickens is there a high protein chicken food?

Quote:
I have, at times, added calf manna to my feed to add a little protein, but moderation is the key. Small amounts of cat food will not be detrimental to chickens. 3-4 morsels, twice a week will aid protein and not hurt anything........Pop

Back
Top Bottom