VERY scared duckling!! Please, please help!!

ForestAlice

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
US
My partner and I have been raising our rescue duckling for a little over a month now. He is like our child. Every day has been full of not ever enough love and cuddles for our baby duck to go around. He was entirely attached to us and saw us as his parents. Tonight, just the moment before there was an accident, he was intensely cuddling with me and preening me, and I was giving him kisses. He was such an affectionate, happy baby.

We have had a pleather jacket hanging in the bathroom for a while, and I saw a tiny piece of the fake leather flake off, and he ate it off the floor. So my partner stands up to move the jacket, me, not thinking at all, watch my partner instead of the duck- and before anyone could respond, my partner had kicked our baby with their foot. He scrambles across the floor, he’s scared, we both panic- my partner and I start crying, we’re totally, entirely freaked out.
We try and hold him, but he was so scared... I tried for several minutes to hold him and calm him, but even after resting and nestling into me, he is still extremely alarmed when one of us stands up. I checked all of his toes, his legs, his wings, his neck and his hips- and I didn’t find anything out of place and he didn’t respond to any touches as if they were painful. I don’t think he’s hurt from the kick- I think it just scared the lights out of him, but I’d still like to know if this is an indicator of pain. And if not this, what are indicators?

My partner and I are nonetheless heartbroken and so, so scared. I’m going to go cry my eyes out after writing this, I feel so, so terrible. We’ve been holding him for the past half hour, he’s ate and drank- but the moment he decides to, he will run out of our laps and run from us, and we’ll have to chase him around the bathroom. He’ll be completely calm in our arms one moment, and then seemingly terrified the next. He will gape his mouth and pant, and he’ll tremble a little until he settles down into our arms, but just the moment before he would have been preening or cuddling.
I don’t know what to do.

what are the signs of pain in a duck? What can we do to comfort him? And if he is in pain what can we give him to ease it?

How hard was he kicked? Like just a sudden nudge or did he get some distance? Chicks are rather strong, so more than likely he just is scared now. Animals don't understand mistakes happen. It's likely that he thinks your partner got up to kick him. Give him some time

What do you keep him in at night? If it's a cage or kennel, I'd probably just set him in there for the night, and hopefully, he'll be a bit better tomorrow just give him some time to rest.

How hard was he kicked? Like just a sudden nudge or did he get some distance? Chicks are rather strong, so more than likely he just is scared now. Animals don't understand mistakes happen. It's likely that he thinks your partner got up to kick him. Give him some time
Yeah he definitely wasn’t sent flying and the kick didn’t seem too hard, which is good but compared to how tiny the duck is we’re concerned. Thanks for the quick reply

Just let him have some quiet time until tomorrow. Put him somewhere quiet and dark and safe and let him realize he's still safe. I've accidentally like everyone, dropped chicks when they jump and have accidentally kicked a bird that runs in front of my leg while walking and usually after a bit if safe time, they don't even remember you did anything to them.

Don't keep chasing him though to try and hold him. All he knows is you kicked him, which might have hurt him a bit and now are chasing him.

Just let him have some quiet time until tomorrow. Put him somewhere quiet and dark and safe and let him realize he's still safe. I've accidentally like everyone, dropped chicks when they jump and have accidentally kicked a bird that runs in front of my leg while walking and usually after a bit if safe time, they don't even remember you did anything to them.

Don't keep chasing him though to try and hold him. All he knows is you kicked him, which might have hurt him a bit and now are chasing him.
Cool, thank you for the advice we’ll do that now! Have you found that after a kick or drop the ducklings will pant or be skittish?

My chicks might pant but usually that's more from just being scared. Like how your heart will speed up and you might have to consciously breathe when you're scared.
Awesome, thank you so much for the response. He seems fine, peeping a bit when we put him in the brooder for the night as he always does and not ruffled or shaking.

What do you keep him in at night? If it's a cage or kennel, I'd probably just set him in there for the night, and hopefully, he'll be a bit better tomorrow just give him some time to rest.
Just put him back in! Thanks for the advice, he seems to be doing okay

Back
Top Bottom