Very sick chicken - runny green poop and mucous in mouth

Stephfret

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2020
I have a black australorp, about a year old, who is very very ill--I'm afraid she may not make it. For the past two days she has been lethargic with runny bright green poop. I had some luck in the past feeding a sick chicken epsom salts, so I tried that yesterday. Last night, she didn't sleep on the perch but rather on the floor of the coop, so this morning I separated her to a crate in the garage. She has just really declined in the past two hours: labored breathing, mucousy mouth, won't eat or drink, eyes closed. I've tried to force her to drink by injecting water (with electrolytes and probiotics) into her beak, but most of it runs out. Her comb is getting dark. I don't know what to do! I can't find a vet in the area who looks at chickens. Any ideas?

Sad update: I'm afraid she didn't make it. About an hour ago I did have some success getting her to swallow a little water, but when I went back to check on her just now she died. I would still be interested in any advice anyone may have, in case I see these symptoms again in another bird. :(

Hi Stephfret,
I'm no expert but asking you a few questions so the people who can help you can do so better.

1. Is it possible to post a picture from her head and beak?
2. Is it possible to post a picture form her poop?
3. Did it start suddenly?
4. Does the mucus smell?
5. How are the other chickens doing?

@Wyorp Rock @casportpony are you able to assist?

Hi Stephfret,
I'm no expert but asking you a few questions so the people who can help you can do so better.

1. Is it possible to post a picture from her head and beak?
2. Is it possible to post a picture form her poop?
3. Did it start suddenly?
4. Does the mucus smell?
5. How are the other chickens doing?

@Wyorp Rock @casportpony are you able to assist?
Thanks for this--for some reason your questions didn't show until after I posted my sad update.
Some additional info though in case anyone does want to weigh in for a future case: this chicken and one other stopped laying a couple of weeks ago, with no obvious reason. The other chicken seemed ill at the time--lethargic, with runny poo. I washed her bum and gave her electrolytes and probiotics, and that went on for a few days until I tried the epsom salt thing. I did epsom salts for two days and then she bounced back and is acting normal (though still not laying). Then three days ago, this current chicken started acting lethargic. I noticed bright green droppings in the coop (that is a different symptom from the first chicken, who never had green poo). I assumed she must have had the same thing as the other one, so tried the same treatment and gave her epsom salts. But she just declined and this morning was in a terrible state. The mucous appeared only this morning and did not smell. The other chickens (including the one who was sick first) are all acting fine and normal.

Back
Top Bottom