very sick chicken

katfitz007

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
west cork ireland
my poor girl is dying.duv is a bantam and almost 2 years old. in mid july i thought she was brooding but it turned out to be scaly leg mites. she was very weak and had lost all the feathers on her belly. we nursed her back and thought she was doing great. he feathers were growing back and she was out freeranging everyday with the rest of the flock. we began to notice she was being bullied a bit and kinda laying back. i made sure she was getting her fair share of treats and food. about a week ago she had a swollen eye and we assumed she was pecked, so we isolated her and began rinsing the eye and using eye cream. she began getting very weak. she is eating soaked bread, bannana, and cooked egg, mixed with protein powder and baby vitimims. her appetite seems to be ok but her water intake isnt great so i am syringing it into her. 4 days ago i thought she wouldnt make it thru the night. we started her on anti biotics. there is no change. she is still very weak, i thought she was going to die in my hand today. she is almost falling over. yet she will have moments of strength and is eating. her poo is watery and green and her comb is swollen. does anyone have any insight or advice im desperate. thanks!

It sounds as though you are doing as much as you can, though I would offer extra heat in case she is chilled, and I would offer wet chicken crumbles with the egg, and leave out the banana and protein powder. A small amount of plain yogurt with cultures would help her intestinal bacteria while on antibiotics.Her stools are green due to lack of food intake probably. Tube feeding is something you could try if you think it would help with her intake. Click here for the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

Last edited:
thanks for your reply eggsessive. she has 2 days of antibiotic left but she is really making no progress. her eye and comb are still swelling and she is still pretty weak. her food intake is surprisingly good in relation to her condition. i will switch her to wet cumb and yougurt.. how much water can be tubed into her in one go? i am willing to try it because time is running out.

thanks for your reply eggsessive. she has 2 days of antibiotic left but she is really making no progress. her eye and comb are still swelling and she is still pretty weak. her food intake is surprisingly good in relation to her condition. i will switch her to wet cumb and yougurt.. how much water can be tubed into her in one go? i am willing to try it because time is running out.
The amount recommended in "Clinical Avian Medicine" is 30ml/kg (30ml per 2.2 pounds) ever 6-8 hours. I'm available by phone to help you, just PM me your number and I'll call.

http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf
FLUID THERAPY
Oral Administration
Oral administration is the ideal method of giving fluids.
This method is more commonly used in mildly dehydrated
birds or in conjunction with subcutaneous (SC)
or intravenous (IV) therapy. Oral rehydration (30 ml/kg
PO q 6-8 h) also may be used in larger birds (eg, waterfowl)
that are difficult to restrain for parenteral fluid
therapy.

-Kathy

hi kathy, i was woefully under hydrating her.i was only giving her 2ml every hour. I have increased her intake since this morning and think I am seeing a difference in her alertness. thanks so much for your advice. fingers crossed. kathleen

hi kathy, i was woefully under hydrating her.i was only giving her 2ml every hour. I have increased her intake since this morning and think I am seeing a difference in her alertness. thanks so much for your advice. fingers crossed. kathleen

Like you I had no idea how much fluid they should get, and since I found out I've had much better luck in stabilizing them. Once she's hydrated, you could try mixing her fluids (I use pedialyte) with Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Food. That way you can keep her hydrated and fed. Once you start getting some food into her you should see a change in her poop and from there you can decide if you want to worm her and/or medicate her.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom