very sick golden polish baby chick

mikalinette

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Eugene
I don't think my chick will make it by the time anyone responds to this, but we ordered chicks from McMurray Hatchery, including two golden polish. The other day I noticed one of them was being trampled by the other chicks so I segregated her. Her toes curl under, so I have tried offering vitamin/electrolytes in her water, she seemed to be doing better. I am pretty sure she was also pasting, but I cleaned her bum and she pooped twice so I was hoping she would get better. This morning though she is doing REALLY bad, shaking and twitching when she is not completely limp. Not sure what I should do at this point - euthanize or just let her pass on her own. I have no long how long she'll be suffering. I'm also worried about our other GP. Do they have any genetic issues, b/c yesterday the other one looked great, but today seems to be acting funny although I may just be being paranoid. They were all vaccinated against Mareks and coccidiosis and are being fed Organic Pride chick starter.

Polish chicks, generally, are VERY iffy. People who order them typically lose them just days after they receive their order for no apparent reason. They are also not a very weather-hardy breed, even as chicks. My order which consists mostly of Polish chicks is coming next month from Meyer's, however I am skeptical that all will make it, even with warmer weather. Mortality rates are pretty high with Polish chickens.

I'm not sure what to do with your young ones. Keep an eye out, I guess. I don't have any experience with sick chicks. I hope others will come along to assist you.

I had an orp like this the other day. Once he layed over and wouldn't stay up right I chose to cull him. It seemed cruel to let him flail and peep like that....It was very sad but I think he would have suffered more if I hadn't.

Good luck with your decision.

We also order from them and got 3 golden polish. We also had one die, but the other 2 are thriving so maybe it was just that one. We added the antibiotic stuff to the water for a week and I still add baby vitiamins to their water. Good luck with yours, they are beautiful chicks.
fl.gif

Wow, thanks, you all are quick. I hate to say that the little baby chick died. I am very glad she is not suffering now, but I hate not knowing if it was some sort of correctable problem. I guess that its good (in a wierd way) to know that Golden Polish are prone to this, as at least I can hope that I didn't do anything wrong. I'll be keeping an eye on all my other girls.

Also, what technique do you use to cull your chicks? I was having a hard time bringing myself to do it, and she passed on anyway, but I was wondering in case something arises again.

Sorry about your loss. I also had 2 polish chicks last year. One buff and one golden. The buff one died within a week and the golden turned out to be a VERY mean Roo. I am afraid to try them again.

I'm glad that I read this. I just got my catalog from Cackle and my husband fell in love with the Polish chickens. I really like to know the good, bad, and the ugly before I get too involved with something. This will give me something to chew on.

Laurie

I used to keep golden and buff polish and never had any trouble with sickness or death or winter hardiness. But I did have a golden rooster that was the meanest rooster I have ever met. He lived forever it seemed. I have a scar on my hand from him. So sorry about your chick. Hope the other makes it.

Sorry for your loss. I had purchased 4 Polish chicks from a local man, all passed but 1 and she is doing fine even tho she is smaller than her pen mates which are the same age. She is a scrapper tho and always makes sure she is in the middle of the food when it is feeding time. The other don't see her any differently so they don't pick on her, which I was afraid would happen.

As for culling a chick......I read on here that you can put them in a small container that you can close air tight. In a smaller container that will fit in beside them put a little baking soda and vinegar, then close them in the container and it will pass quickly from the gas. I have not tried this but it seemed like a quick way and the person said it worked quick. Hope you don't have to use this method but it is better that them suffering.

Back
Top Bottom