Very sick peacock - Two siblings already dead

animalloverabh

Allons-y, Alonso
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
The wonderful countryside, UK
Hello all,

I have a male peacock that is almost a year old, who can be described as 'a drunken and tired man'.
He is stumbling over his feet and has the need to lie down every so often. He is also droopy, however he is eating and drinking.
His vocals sound different too.

This was him yesterday.

His sister died last night, she was eating but wasn't drinking per say. Her wings were really droopy, she walked like she was in 5 inches of snow and she squealed when she pooped. When walking around, she was reluctant to go too far, and fell over a few times. When i picked her up she was really thin and light.

Below is a picture of the sister's feces from the night she died.

Their other sister died a week back, however i wasn't here at the time, but i think she would of had the same symptoms.

I am currently giving him some internal parasite herbal wormy type thing that is added to their drinking water, and i have just treated him for lice with some powder.

I really don't want him to die too, can anyone diagnose/help?

Thank you,
Alanna.

Last edited:
Sorry for your losses
hugs.gif

Hang in there the doctors should be here some time soon to help you but meanwhile can you provide some more info.
1) what are they living in and are there other birds,,

2) what do you feed them?

3) have you wormed them with anything other that what you listed? most herbals may not work if they have a heavy worm load.

And I have her but she is in the freezer to be buried tomorrow.. And I have no experience in that kind of thing.. nor of the anatomy of a bird...

I know the idea of doing a necropsy is daunting, it gives me pause as well and I'm no wimp when it comes to blood and guts. Last summer I had a similar situation. I lost two 5 week old chicks and had a third showing symptoms. I found a vet who would see us and asked him to treat for the "Big 3"-worms, cocci, and black head, he gave us panacur, smz/tmp, and Flagyl. and I had to tube feed for several days, but #3 pulled through. Your's seem a bit mature to be hit this hard by cocci, that is usually fatal in younger chicks, so I'd put my money on the worms or the black head. By the time they are showing the symptoms like your boy is they are really sick, if you do not treat him asap I doubt there is much hope for recovery. Call some local vets and see if any are willing to give you an appt. or at the very least panacur and flagyl you will need his weight so they can dispense a correct dosage By the way, mine were suffering from cocci even though they had always eaten nothing but the amprollium medicated chick starter. Good luck.
hugs.gif

I can't believe you can only get metro from a vet in the UK. I looked up fish zole in the UK and it states that metro is only available through a vet. I found this treatment:
Blackhead is a protozoa and acidified copper sulfate will take care of it. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Make a fresh mixture daily, dont use metal containers/bowls. Once you're done treating, wait a few days then go get the protozoas host in your chickens....the cecal worm. Dose your chickens with 1/2cc valbazen orally to kill the cecal worm and other worms. Redose again in 10 days. If you have banty's or smaller birds, the dosage is 1/4cc.
Do not add vinegar to the copper sulfate/water mixture....that would most likely be used a fungal problem instead of a protozoal problem.

It is from this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/592158/acified-copper-sulfate-or-valbazen-bright-yellow-poop

Here is what it says about the active ingredient - Dimetridazole is used for treating and preventing blackhead in breeding flocks of chickens and turkeys and in game birds, and for preventing swine dysentery in pigs. The chemical is also used for treating canker in pigeons and caged birds.
Octozin seems to be the only way to get dimetridazole in the UK cause the UK banned the drug dimetridazole. Now Octozin only comes in a tablet for water, but you might be able to get a powder form in pigeon canker medicine if it is available. In the US the pigeon canker med says it is 40% dimetridazole but it too is mixed in water.

Thank you,

1) They live free range with ducks, chickens and a few older peas. The move from enclosure to free range happened when the first girl died. Its grassy and a bit muddy here at the moment due to all the rain we have been getting.

2) I feed them with corn mostly, with growers pellets added in occasionally, and there is also a bag of mixed 'stuff' that i give them, which consists of sunflower seeds, corn, dried peas and stuff..

They also get leftover vegetables ect... But the chickens normally get to them first.

3) No, nothing. In England the medications available seem very different, so it's hard to be sure of anything, if you know what i mean.

That poop looks like blackhead to me. Sounds like your guy is very sick and he should probably be seen by a vet, ASAP.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom