Very sick peacock - Two siblings already dead

I can't believe you can only get metro from a vet in the UK. I looked up fish zole in the UK and it states that metro is only available through a vet. I found this treatment:
Blackhead is a protozoa and acidified copper sulfate will take care of it. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Make a fresh mixture daily, dont use metal containers/bowls. Once you're done treating, wait a few days then go get the protozoas host in your chickens....the cecal worm. Dose your chickens with 1/2cc valbazen orally to kill the cecal worm and other worms. Redose again in 10 days. If you have banty's or smaller birds, the dosage is 1/4cc.
Do not add vinegar to the copper sulfate/water mixture....that would most likely be used a fungal problem instead of a protozoal problem.

It is from this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/592158/acified-copper-sulfate-or-valbazen-bright-yellow-poop

Okay, so I have to admit at the moment that I am a minor, and I am not too sure if there are any avian vets around here/ nor will my parents be able to pay for the meds...

However, IF it is blackhead, where would the source be coming from? The adult peafowl don't seem to have any problems in the slightest...
Mostly the chickens, they can carry the disease and not show signs of it. When you have lots of mud more earthworms come to the surface and get eaten by the chickens and the cycle starts. Chances are the adult peas just aren't around the chickens as much as the younger ones are.

Mostly the chickens, they can carry the disease and not show signs of it. When you have lots of mud more earthworms come to the surface and get eaten by the chickens and the cycle starts. Chances are the adult peas just aren't around the chickens as much as the younger ones are.
Yes, that makes sense, it has been astonishingly wet recently and it sure doesn't help with the duck digging the place up..

I can't believe you can only get metro from a vet in the UK. I looked up fish zole in the UK and it states that metro is only available through a vet. I found this treatment:
Blackhead is a protozoa and acidified copper sulfate will take care of it. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Make a fresh mixture daily, dont use metal containers/bowls. Once you're done treating, wait a few days then go get the protozoas host in your chickens....the cecal worm. Dose your chickens with 1/2cc valbazen orally to kill the cecal worm and other worms. Redose again in 10 days. If you have banty's or smaller birds, the dosage is 1/4cc.
Do not add vinegar to the copper sulfate/water mixture....that would most likely be used a fungal problem instead of a protozoal problem.

It is from this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/592158/acified-copper-sulfate-or-valbazen-bright-yellow-poop
Is that like the salt you get from the supermarket? And yes England seems like a very hard place to self-medicate...

I found this but I never tried it but if you have it on hand then you have nothing to lose so give it a shot

no need for anything drastic, just dose everyone about once a month with cyanne pepper. I put about 3 to 4 tablespoons in about 3 lbs of oatmeal and mix it up with warm water and garlic. If you look around you will find a thread that says cayenne pepper will treat blackhead with great results, it is also used for worms and such. Works great for my flocks with no negative results.

Got it from this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/591486/need-info-on-histostat-50

Last edited:

[COLOR=0000FF]Blackhead is a protozoa and acidified copper sulfate will take care of it.  Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Make a fresh mixture daily, dont use metal containers/bowls. Once you're done treating, wait a few days then go get the protozoas host in your chickens....the cecal worm. Dose your chickens with 1/2cc valbazen orally to kill the cecal worm and other worms. Redose again in 10 days. If you have banty's or smaller birds, the dosage is 1/4cc.[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR]
Do not add vinegar to the copper sulfate/water mixture....that would most likely be used a fungal problem instead of a protozoal problem.[/COLOR]

It is from this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/592158/acified-copper-sulfate-or-valbazen-bright-yellow-poop

Is that like the salt you get from the supermarket? And yes England seems like a very hard place to self-medicate...

Never seen it in a store here, had to order mine.

-Kathy

I wouldn't bet the life of my peafowl on it. It won't hurt, but I doubt it will help.

-Kathy
Kathy we have to try something esp when they cannot get the proper drugs to cure it. I know sulfa drugs will cure it but do not know what other sulfa drugs are out there
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom