Very sick respiratoray chickens, please advise

I’m fully aware that overuse of antibiotics results in them being ineffective when you need them BUT if it were my flock, I think I’d do an assessment and narrow it down to the most likely diagnosis and if this were the ONLY option I had in the present moment, I would treat for what it seems to be looking like as far as diagnosis. In my school of thought doing something is better than nothing. Especially since you lost one already. Then get them tested when you can or get blood work done when the vet can see you. If you need to then change your treatment plan- well... then you do. It’s not the end of the world. I think that’s what you’re asking about right? That’s how I would and have proceeded. It was in times where I was told to do nothing until I could get them in and get test results. But as you know, that’s not always possible in an immediate sense. And so your story seems to be going. In my cases I’ve gotten lucky and the antibiotic I began treating with was precisely the recommendation of the vet. By the time I got that news, we were well in the way to a full and speedy recovery. If I had waited like the vet told me to, I am sure I would’ve lost them. I believe in being proactive. Sometimes, as chicken keepers, we must follow our gut. Because let’s face it, professional help isn’t always readily available for poultry in the way of vets.
Last week I had one of the best exotic vets in Wisconsin tell me- “at the end of the day, you know your birds best. So if you’re overcome with a gut feeling- do whatever it is you need to despite what anyone else- vets included- tell you to do”.
We were talking about a bird two vets told me to euthanize because she had zero chance of even making a partial recovery. I knew otherwise. I knew the bird. I knew she wasn’t suffering. I did opposite of what the two vets told me to do (let it be known- neither was the real good vet I mention above. But both were self professed Exotics/ poultry vets). Today, that same little bird who “had zero chance at any meaningful recovery” is alive and well. And fully recovered. Point being, if you feel that’s what you need to do, do it! It’s always good to ask for advice from this amazing and compassionate and knowledgeable community but at the end of the day you’re the only one there. You’re the only one who knows the birds. You’re the only one with emotions at stake. Do what you think you should. Good luck!

I have also read about braod spectrum antibiotics, and was hoping someone may suggest something, that would treat a host of respiratory probems.
Until you can get in - I think that’s the best avenue. I would do that until you can get in just Incase it is bacterial. See my longer post for more on this school of thought. I just think something is better than nothing as far as being proactive in this situation- until you can get into the vet next week right? After all, in sick chicken land, often a week without treatment is life or death.

But I do know many others are far more knowledgeable than me. I may be giving you horrible advice. I just have been in your situation more than once where I could not get into a vet or a sample in for test for a week or more and something had to be done. I’ve always gotten lucky with my decisions. I sincerely hope you do too!

thanks for the kind response, these are my thoughts exactly, i want to be proactive as possible, im afraid the next week may be life or death. so i came here just hoping for a reccomendation of what i an immediatly start my bird on.

Perhaps we can narrow it down to what respiratory disease(s) they have, give it our best shot and treat accordingly even though I recommend testing. Keep in mind it's possible for birds to have more than one respiratory disease at the same time.
1. Has there been any head shaking/gasping for air, blood droplets or blood splatters inside the coop or anywhere else?
2. Is there any facial swelling? Please smell 2 of the sickest birds breath for a foul odor and let us know.
3. Crack an egg open and let us know if the egg whites are watery. Are there any malformed eggs shells or wrinkled eggs?
4. It appears in the one of the pics, the red rooster (RIR?) that he has sort of "droopy" eye, is that correct? Do any of your other birds have kind of "droopy" eye?
Have you seen just a few bubbles or foam in any of their eyes?
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

Sorry to hear about your flock.

I know you won't like what I am about to say, but that is okay. We are all entitled to our opinions. But seeing as the entire flock is sick and in light of the recent death, I would cull everyone, sanitize and begin over again with healthy birds. At the end of the day, I simply cannot justify vet visits for a $10 chicken. The more logical and economic option for me is not to harbor disease in my flock, and to simply rid myself of the problem. Otherwise, i would have to potenially wait for every last bird to die on their own so I can be assured of a healthy flock before I ever get more birds. I don't have the time or money to waste doing that.

Sorry to hear about your flock.

I know you won't like what I am about to say, but that is okay. We are all entitled to our opinions. But seeing as the entire flock is sick and in light of the recent death, I would cull everyone, sanitize and begin over again with healthy birds. At the end of the day, I simply cannot justify vet visits for a $10 chicken. The more logical and economic option for me is not to harbor disease in my flock, and to simply rid myself of the problem. Otherwise, i would have to potenially wait for every last bird to die on their own so I can be assured of a healthy flock before I ever get more birds. I don't have the time or money to waste doing that.
Agreed. Surviving birds with respiratory diseases are carriers for life. They will infect new birds introduced into an existing flock. Separation doesnt matter since the diseases can be carried on your clothing, shoes, hands, tires etc...some can be carried in the wind such as Infectious Bronchitis (IB.) Egg production slows or stops.
Infected birds cant be sold or given away, nor eggs to be hatched due to most diseases passed through the eggs.
A closed flock must be maintained; no birds in, none out.
It's best to cull, disinfect everything including coops, waterers and feeders, nest boxes and roosts with Oxine w/activator, and wait a period of time depending what disease the birds had prior to repopulation.

This sounds EXACTLY like what I am currently going through. I gave a 10 day cycle of tetracycline and they improved but I now have a flock of chickens that are forever carriers of MG and MS. I now have to live with a zero in/zero out policy or cull them all. I’m so sorry you are going through this. I’ve been crying for days so I know you’re frustration and pain. I ended up culling my new chicks and sending them off the the Animal Health Authority and I’ve attached the diagnosis for you to read just for information. None of my chickens showed any other signs of illness other that sneezing and slight runny noses, however if you smelled their nostrils you could smell infection. I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have as I have been working closely with the health authority and vets about what to do and how to move forward.

Attachments

• fax00098370.pdf
    339.5 KB · Views: 8
well a lot of them you have to know what it is your treating, or your wasting valuable time and money if it needs antibiotics and not getting correct one, and treating willy nilly and changing without a need can cause like in us super bugs too. If it's viral most antibiotics don't help it just has to run it's course while you make sure they don't dehydrate.

@Eggcessive
@casportpony

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom