Very small chick - stunted?

larmstrong

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
I am raising 100 red-bro meat birds (3rd year doing it) and they are about 3 weeks old. I have one that is tiny. It runs over to the feeder to eat until it gets crowded out and then just sits under the heat lamp. It does eat and drink though. I might have expected it to die by now as I find I will lose 2-3 every batch due to some weakness that it can't survive and I think gets beaten up a bit by the others. This one seems untouched but seems so young. Still has some yellow feathering on it's head!
It's wing feathers are growing out and seem oversized. Big feet too which is normal with meat birds. I was wondering if its skeleton is deformed maybe or stunted? Anyone else have one like this?

I have raised 1000's of chicks and if I have a weak one like this, it and a couple of the smaller sibling are moved to a separate brooder so it can get ALL it wants to eat and drink to give it its best chance. Good Luck

Yes, many of us have had a "runt". Chicks can have varying degrees of genetic defects that can cause stunted growth, among other things. As long as the chick is eating, it has a chance.

Poulty Nutri-drench "mainlines" nutrients to a chick such as this, and it can go a long way to "jump-starting" a chick with a troubled beginning. A dose of a drop along its beak then mixing it into the water so it appears as a weak tea is the usual prescription. It will greatly benefit all the chick during the first couple weeks.

I have raised 1000's of chicks and if I have a weak one like this, it and a couple of the smaller sibling are moved to a separate brooder so it can get ALL it wants to eat and drink to give it its best chance. Good Luck
Thanks PD. I have brought it inside the house. I like the idea of housing it with others though. I only have one smallish one to add so will try that.

Yes, many of us have had a "runt". Chicks can have varying degrees of genetic defects that can cause stunted growth, among other things. As long as the chick is eating, it has a chance.

Poulty Nutri-drench "mainlines" nutrients to a chick such as this, and it can go a long way to "jump-starting" a chick with a troubled beginning. A dose of a drop along its beak then mixing it into the water so it appears as a weak tea is the usual prescription. It will greatly benefit all the chick during the first couple weeks.

Thanks Azygous. It does eat and drink but not a lot. Walks around a little. Loves the heat. It's 3 weeks old now. I wonder if it has an enlarged heart because you can see it's chest heaving all the time.

Thanks PD. I have brought it inside the house. I like the idea of housing it with others though. I only have one smallish one to add so will try that.

I like to put the sickly ones in a separate pen with at least one other to keep it company. I can then give it extra's that the others do not really need.
We do the best we can, some times they don't make it but I feel Good knowing I gave it a chance-----NO, I am not taking them to the Vet, but others can if they want! Good Luck

Thanks PD. Yea, I don't get a vet for my meat chickens. Out of the batches of 100 I get, I usually lose 2 or 3 within the first week - just seem to be the weaklings and I let nature take it's course. This one keeps fighting and he/she is kinda cute so we'll see!

Back
Top Bottom