Very small silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celiandy, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    I have a little black showgirl/silkie (Peanut). She is sooo small, about 1/3 the size of a regular one. She is about 5 months old, so she should be getting close to her full size. Is this common? Should I try to breed mini silkies? Is there something that can happen in the upbringing that can stunt their growth? I got rid of her siblings but they seemed a little bigger. I'll try to take some pics if anyone is interested in seeing her.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it was the closest that I could find.

Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have had a runt silkie before. I right now have a runt white Orpington. It always just seems to be one in a group of 25 or so- I don't know why.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have a dwarf/runt silkie. She will be 3 this fall. She is very tiny and will not lay. She laid about 3 eggs, then that was it. She's so adorable, I can't get rid of here. She will be here till she dies.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  4. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    Interesting, I wonder if they don't usually lay. Thanks for your responses, it's good to know she's not the only one out there.

5. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    I have a runt also![​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

robin416 has (or had) a dwarf Silkie. She did lay regular size eggs, too. I'm not sure if she still has her, but she was definitely a dwarf, not just a runt (the Silkie, not Robin, LOL)

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have two tiny hens and a tiny roo. He is the size of a normal size hen. They are not dwarf by any means just extra small.

8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Cynthia is correct, I did have a dwarf. She died last Summer after she started internally laying.

There is a physical difference between a dwarf and a small Silkie. It would take me forever to find Dwarf's pic but I'll give it a try. Their bodies are more round and the legs are quite a bit shorter. Cynthia has pics of another breed that was a dwarf.

9. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:I would love to see a pic people have said one of my little girl is a dwarf but I don't think she is I think she is just Tiny.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I'd like to see the picture also. Im pretty sure my girl is a dwarf. She's really tiny, round and has the tinest little legs. She sort of waddles when she walks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by