VERY strange growth......need help ASAP!-----UPDATE!

I'd go to a vet OR cull the bird so it dosent suffer anymore... Poor thing.
sad.png

I would try to open up the bulge where the little scab is and see if you can get it to drain at all. With the sinuses swelled the way that they are, I would start a "mycin" treatment that would help with sinus infection such as sinusitis. If there is no smell to the head of the bird then it very possibly is not coryza. Coryza does not always stink but more times than not it does. Coryza will also generally make the head swell below the eye. And there would be discharge. Not knowing this bird personally, I would treat as a severe sinus infection.
Any other help from a non-judgemental crowd would be appreciated

Now that's what I'm talking about, thank you so much for understanding not only her situation, but mine.

I didn't smell anything I handled the bird, but the sinus cavities are obviously swollen, so you think Mycin??? Is that a oral anitbiotic, I need to know all the details to I can tell her what to buy and how to use it.

if she said she had a bird get this last year and died i would assume that this is some sort of transmittable infection.

if you take a look at the pic the chickens eye in affected, i am surprised the chicken still has sight in that eye.

me personally i would advise the friend to cull the bird and hope that none of her other chickens come down with this. i would treat with antibiotic in the water for 10 days and see what happens

are there any other chickens that are affected but not as bad?

i am not judging so please dont take this the wrong way but this did not pop up over night so i think treatment when she first noticed there was a problem could have saved the chicken

I agree about it being transmittable, she has other birds so I'm curious how contagious is this stuff. The bird could see out of the eye but barely. I do agree with you it comes down to the quality of life for this bird, I think it's worth a try of antibiotics, if that doesn't work then I totally agree it's time to cull, I have no idea if she's willing to do that but I will suggest it. Thank you for your
help:)

Have her contact the state vet and ask them what they think it could be. It might be something they would want to llok at since this has happened before. We had to do that once but it was for are cows. Please tell her I said good luck and I am glad she cares enough to ask for help.

Sounds like a good idea. I feel sorry for this lady, she really loves her birds I hate to tell her to put him down, I know it's going to hurt her, but it's going to best for him. Sad situation for both really.

Shari​

Last edited:
I hope that you see this thru so that you can keep us posted. We all may learn something here. I'm curious to know what this is and how to deal with it in the future if it happens to any of our chickens. Thanks for being concerned in trying to help this lady out. Good Luck.

Thank you, she will appreciate to know others care. Even if she has to put him down she will know others care....that's nice.

Shari

There are so many "Mycin" drugs such as Duramycin, Aureomycin and agrimycin. I would suggest Aureomycin which is a water soluble antibiotic.
Directions will be on the package.
Should be able to get it at your local feed store.
As for opening the bulge. If she can get it to drain at all, I would then coat it with triple antibiotic ointment which you can get at a local drug store or pharmacy. It seems to work better than neosporin.
How many birds does she have? And only one had something similar last year? No other birds have had anything since until now?

I agree if she has other birds and hasnt had a bunch of infections it just dont seem to me that it is very contagious. First i would tell her to keep it away from the others start it on antibiotic then i would lance that big baby first and see whats in there if it is yellow make sure to get it all out and clean it up and if it is clear which i bet it wont be i would maybe think about culling. Like i said this is just my two pennies worth I am no vet by a long shot.

There are so many "Mycin" drugs such as Duramycin, Aureomycin and agrimycin. I would suggest Aureomycin which is a water soluble antibiotic.
Directions will be on the package.
Should be able to get it at your local feed store.
As for opening the bulge. If she can get it to drain at all, I would then coat it with triple antibiotic ointment which you can get at a local drug store or pharmacy. It seems to work better than neosporin.
How many birds does she have? And only one had something similar last year? No other birds have had anything since until now

?

Thank you, I will pass the info on the antibiotic and encourage her to open it and treat it.

I'm not sure how many birds she has, she said a few mixed banties a couple cochins and Seramas, not very many. Yes, only one had something similar over a year ago, no other birds came down with it until this little guy.

Thanks,
Shari​

I agree if she has other birds and hasnt had a bunch of infections it just dont seem to me that it is very contagious. First i would tell her to keep it away from the others start it on antibiotic then i would lance that big baby first and see whats in there if it is yellow make sure to get it all out and clean it up and if it is clear which i bet it wont be i would maybe think about culling. Like i said this is just my two pennies worth I am no vet by a long shot.

I wonder if it's something environmental??? Could this bird perhaps ate something from the ground....chemicals?? Just thinking here.

Thanks for your input........​

Was the other bird that had it also related in some way? Could it be genetic?

Possibly, I'd have to ask her. Interesting thought though......worth asking her.​

Back
Top Bottom