Very stupid egg question

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
I know we make fun sometimes of people who don't know anything about eggs and how they are "created" so don't yell at me too much for this one!

I had always been told that an egg with a thick membrane (when you cracked it) was an old egg.

I am cracking eggs the day they are laid and I can't get over how tough the membrane is! Is the old wive's tale wrong? Or is it that my hens are still young??

It is a wives tale. They are thicker because they are fresher and the hens are fed a variety of food. AND THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS. Unless you ask if OJ is guilty.
lol.png

I promise not to ask ANY questions about OJ the less said about him the better!

I meant the membrane that the shell is attached to! Maybe that is the source of the confusion.... the egg white vs the membrane??

Nope, I know what you are talking about - outside in = shell, membrane, egg..... The membrane, the lining of the shell, is sometimes VERY thick on my eggs. Usually along with hard as nails shells...

The true test for an old egg is to put it in a pot of water - if it floats, toss it, if it lays flat on the bottom it is very fresh, if the small end points up it's older but not bad.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I promise not to ask ANY questions about OJ the less said about him the better!

I meant the membrane that the shell is attached to! Maybe that is the source of the confusion.... the egg white vs the membrane??

the only smart question involving OJ...do you drink it with breakfast or with pizza!
lol.png

your hens are young and eating good food so im sure the shells are harder than store bought also, had to get eggs at the store the other day and they almost broke in my hand

Quote:
the only smart question involving OJ...do you drink it with breakfast or with pizza!
lol.png

pizza???? oh blech!
sickbyc.gif
Girl!

i didn't say i drink it with pizza...that's the divider in the question!

group A...OJ and breakfast
group B....OJ and pizza

and let's not forget
group C...OJ an spaghetti

Quote:
I'm laughing at this because when I made a bunch of pecan pies over Christmas, I had to buy eggs at the store. I *pulverized* the first egg cracking it open. I had already forgotten how much easier they were to crack than eggs from my girls.

Now, if I could just figure out how to peel them after boiling them without half the white tearing off.

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom