Very swollen toe, lumpy foot, and infection in 7 mo old Pekin - probably NOT bumblefoot

I just heard from the vet. The cytology concluded granulomatous inflammation, likely caused by trauma. At three days the culture has not grown anything yet, but they keep it for a month so we'll see if something is slower to develop. The vet said it could also be that Pig's body walled off the infection in isolated spot(s) and we just didn't take a sample from the right place.

The swelling has maybe gone down the slightest bit, but it's hard to definitively attribute that to any one aspect of treatment. Her demeanor is good and she is using her foot more, but that could just be the painkiller working. We're going to keep her on the current course of antibiotics for another week and reassess next Monday. The vet is willing to try antibiotics that better target bone infections, in case that is what we're dealing with. Unfortunately, it sounds like even if we eventually treat infection, the masses are a separate issue and won't necessarily go away without something like surgery (which is not a realistic option for us). I picked up some DMSO in case that helps even a little.

I am new to granulomatous inflammation, so I'm in research mode. I found a research paper that talks about wild ducks developing granulomatous inflammation when cysts caused by Sarcocystis parasites ruptured. Might be something worth looking into. I'm open to any info I can find.

In the meantime, I am turning Pig into a spoiled lap duck.
20210126_202934.jpg

Putting this info here in case anyone is curious, or reading through this thread to learn something about their own situation.

I consulted with an avian vet on justanswer and she said if the swelling is just granuloma and not pus, it should eventually go away with proper antibiotic treatment. She said in 33 years of treating granulomas on ducks, she has never had to surgically remove one, so that is a relief! She also gave higher dosage recommendations for both antibiotics.

Both vets have no opinion on the DMSO, other than "it probably can't hurt, so why not?" I use a new glove each time I apply it, to avoid getting any into my skin and avoid introducing anything bad. DMSO draws whatever it has contact with into the skin with it.

The online avian vet also said I can try children's liquid Motrin in place of the Metacam, since that can get very pricey. That is a new one for me! On the natural front, she recommends glucosamine hcl over turmeric, since it has fewer negative side effects. She has no experience using CBD oil, which I am still curious about anyone having any luck with.

The more you know...

Had our follow-up with the vet yesterday. Still no word on the culture/sensitivity. We're more than doubling the dose of the Amoxi-Clav. I don't know if it's purely coincidence, but once I started using the DMSO, I also started noticing a visible reduction in swelling. There are even wrinkles on her foot where the swelling was previously pulling the skin taught.

20210209_134629.jpg
20210209_134725.jpg

I will take any progress we can get!

Just as a word of encouragement, I am sure benefiting from all your work recording this. I have a Pekin With almost identical situation and symptoms! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your research and experience for our benefit!

Also, to add to your repertoire, I’ve been using an epsom salt poultice on the swollen parts and wrapping it in coban. After just a couple days I see a noticeable reduction in swelling. I’ll attach a picture of what I’ve used. Just thought I’d share what I’ve found helpful. I let her soak in a warm tub until she starts hollering at me, then I apply the poultice and wrap it. This worked great the last time this happened, and I’m using the same treatment now, but like you, my duck started with toe problems that turned into ankle swelling. Hopefully we get to the bottom of this!

Attachments

• 35CC7715-A18D-4F06-A467-B10FA52C7E69.jpeg
    35CC7715-A18D-4F06-A467-B10FA52C7E69.jpeg
    521.2 KB · Views: 5
Just as a word of encouragement, I am sure benefiting from all your work recording this. I have a Pekin With almost identical situation and symptoms! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your research and experience for our benefit!

I can't begin to tell you how much this made my day! I am SO glad you found some of this info helpful! I haven't posted any follow-ups because life, well, life happened. But thankfully I can say that Pig Duck is doing well and is back with the flock! It took a very long time and multiple refills of antibiotics. She still has some very minimal swelling but is otherwise getting around just fine and soooo happy to be back with the flock!

Hang in there! ❤️

Also, to add to your repertoire, I’ve been using an epsom salt poultice on the swollen parts and wrapping it in coban. After just a couple days I see a noticeable reduction in swelling. I’ll attach a picture of what I’ve used. Just thought I’d share what I’ve found helpful. I let her soak in a warm tub until she starts hollering at me, then I apply the poultice and wrap it. This worked great the last time this happened, and I’m using the same treatment now, but like you, my duck started with toe problems that turned into ankle swelling. Hopefully we get to the bottom of this!

Good to know! I had both vets tell me that epsom salts wouldn't do any good and not to bother, but then again the non-avian vet also wanted me to keep Pig's foot totally dry and not let her take any baths for weeks on end, and this just wasn't going to fly. I think the poultice is definitely worth trying should it flare up again - which hopefully it won't, but you never know!

I have a duck with the same issue. It's been months and different antibiotics from the vet. I'm worried she might not make it. Some days she can keep up with the others and some days she just sleeps in the yard by herself :(. I'm going to try the epsom salt paultice and DMSO to see if that helps. Thanks for your posts!

Back
Top Bottom