Very thin hen, Not going to the bathroom regularly! SICK!! please help!

GoldenSparrow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
My little hen is sick. She she turned a year old in July. I noticed she was puffed up and tail somewhat down. Her poop is very watery, and her crop is empty. I felt her all over, and am shocked to find she is skin and bones. her bottom is not even plump. Her Pubis bones are extremely prominent , as well as her sternum I am so worried. We are trying to get her to eat, but she does not want much... It also appears that she is moulting.

I gave her one aspirin in a gallon of water.
I also brought her inside and she stayed under the heat lamp for a few days. this is the 3rd day, and she still seems the same. she really liked the heat lamp, but now she stays away from it. but hunches like she is cold. feathers slightly puffed.

She will not eat much. I did notice, that her crop seems to have food in it. I have been feeding her one piece if chicken food at a time.
Yesterday, I gave her around 150 pieces. her crop not full but did have food in it last night. today, her crop feels the same size. and I dont see any new poops.
Is she not going to the bathroom?
She has pooped the last few days, but nothing like a chicken should be going, is it normal for a hen to not go to the bathroom all night long??

Also, she has not layed an egg since we brought her inside 3 days ago.

Thanks

Last edited:
Is her cropy emptying or staying full? How does it feel? Is it firm but pliable? If her crop is not moving, you have a long road ahead of you...I'm sorry to say.

I would try squirting some yogurt into her mouth - the cultures may help regulate her system if that's all that is going on. You can also get some Baby Bird Handfeeding Formula - this is made for baby parrots, and is chock full of vitamins & minerals, and more protein than regular feed has. It's a powder that you mix with water to whatever consistency you want. If you can mix it thin enough to be able to syringe a bit into her beak, ASSUMING she will take it & swallow it, this "may" give her what she needs to get over the hump, so to speak. (Oh, this is avaialble at any pet store that sells bird supplies.)

She shouldn't be laying eggs right now...if she is ill, she needs ALL her energy directed into getting well rather than laying, which takes a lot out of them. I'm so sorry...I hope she pulls through!

SHE HAS NOT GONE TO THE BATHROOM AT ALL TODAY!!! I am so worried. her crop is the same size as yesterday! she ate nothing today! :s3

It is pliable I dont think its emptying!!! Please, what should I do!??? Can I help her?

I have some avian feed formula, but should I feed her if her crops not emptying?

THANK YOU for helping me. I really am thankful.

The not pooping may be because nothing is in her stomach, it is all getting clogged up in her crop. I'm leaning towards the idea that her crop is impacted. One way of telling is if you open her beak and see if her mouth has a really bad stench. (My chicken Hazel had this, and it stunk like rotten food/hay/shavings all mixed together. Yuck)

Now, i'm just guessing at this, but even if you try this, it won't hurt her. Give her 2 eyedroppers full of mineral oil (not mineral spirits) into her mouth, then massage her crop to soften it up so it can pass. Repeat this everyday until the crop is filling and emptying, and she is starting to act normal.

Praying for Gem! <3

She was drinking alot today!

We have been feeding her with a tube, Avian formula. She seems a little better today!
I brought her out side, and she was pecking at the food. She also did a very watery poop! yippy. at least its a start.

Please keep her in your prayers.

She was drinking alot today!

We have been feeding her with a tube, Avian formula. She seems a little better today!
I brought her out side, and she was pecking at the food. She also did a very watery poop! yippy. at least its a start.

Please keep her in your prayers.
How much are you tube feeding her? When mine are really sick, I weigh them daily to ensure they don't lose too much weight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom