Very, VERY close call.

silkiechick05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
North Texas
So, yesterday while going do to let the chickens out of their coop, I noticed a little Dachshund running up the drive. I caught her and noticed she was bleeding from the mouth and was very elderly. I couldn't just leave her out in the heat so I took her in.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I took her out to go potty and asked my dad if he could watch her for a minute while I ran inside. He grumbled something along the lines of "I'm not watching it I'm doing other things," but I figured he would actually keep an eye on things.

I was wrong.

I start to her chickens scream, so I rush outside and find silkie feathers EVERYWHERE, even in the dog's mouth. At first I though she had one of my one month olds, but thankfully they were just feathers. My poor broody hen, Pepper, was the victim. All of her chest and belly feathers are gone, as well as a spot on her back. Thankfully, her skin wasn't broken.

Oh, by the way, I put the dog in the house to assess the damage and she pooped everywhere.

She is house broken, because we take her out to go. I think it was the excitement of almost killing my Pepper that moved things along.

I am not happy. I took her in out of the kindness of my heart. I guess I'm just used to my dogs not caring.

bless you for taking in the dachsund. Have you called the newspaper to put in a "found" ad in the classifieds? There is usually no cost for an ad for something that's been found. As for the dog/chicken encounter, remember that dachsunds were originally bred for hunting, and they do have a hunter's instinct. Until you have had a chance to train the dog and watch to see how it interacts with your chickens (with your being RIGHT THERE) you should NOT leave it in the vicinity of your chickens at all. Make sure your chickens are safe, and if you let the dog out, stay with her so you can control her. I hope you either find her owners (she may have slipped her collar or may have gotten out accidentally) or can make sure both the dog and chickens can have their "yard time" in comfort and safety.
ETA I'm glad your Pepper was ok. It would probably be a good idea to keep an eye on her for the next day or so just to make certain she's ok from the stress or make sure there were not tiny puncture wounds or skin tears you didn't see. Chickens don't always bleed from a skin tear.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so sorry your kindness backfired.
hugs.gif

Dachshunds, surprisingly, have a tenacious prey drive. Sounds like it's time to call animal control to pick up the stray. (Unless she has endeared herself to you in other ways and you decide to keep her. You will HAVE to work with her a lot, or simply never let her out with the chickens unsupervised.)

I have an elderly dachshund I never thought would give a hoot about the chickens, but I was really wrong about that. He's killed four of them, but all when they were fairly small. He doesn't bother the grown chickens at all, now, after significant work with him.

Unfortunately, I am now also keeping some bantam breeds. They just don't get larger than "young" chickens.

On the plus side, he's afraid of my two ducks, who are flock-mates of the chickens. The ducks and I are keeping the bantams safe.

Uh-oh! Good thing no one got hurt ultimately, though that is certainly a very close call! It is sweet that you took in the dachshund, though--it's no good for an elderly dog to be out and about on her own. I agree with posting "Found" ads in your local paper, Craigslist, and perhaps around the neighborhood. Hopefully she has a home already and just needs to get back to it! If not, you can always look for a home for her or, if she stays, just be careful with her when the chickens aren't safely penned.

We are owned by 2 mini dachs. the girl " gabby " could care less about chickens while " Bo " the boy is a real hunter. He wont so much as look at a chicken when someone is out in the yard but if nobody is watching there will be trouble. Welost our EE chick to him & 2 young rabbitts now he is watched closely. I hope your hen is o-k & you dont have anymore trouble. you know what they say no good deed goes unpunnished!

Yike's.I read a couple month's back about the most agressive dog breed's and Yes dachsund's are in the top 10 list sadly.My daughter has this super cute long haired one she has been wanting to place for a few month's but I have been weary about him so I passed on him.Jack Russell's are not good around bird's either or at least my neighbor's wasn't.And heeler's can be vicious on bird's as well as Lab's.Just my experience's with dog's that have taken down quite a few bird's here.I have a poodle and he is great with the bird's.Hope you can find the owner or re-home him.

I guess I am a little too trusting since my dogs don't care.

She has a collar on, just no tags.

Honestly, who is going to want an elderly dog? I don't want her to live the rest of her days in a pound, where she would surly be destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom