Very weak emanciated buff brahma 4 years old

6andadog

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2018
My chicken has been sick for about 3 weeks or more. When I first discovered she was sick she was staying in the coop. When I tried to push her out her wings would kind of droop to her side. I removed her from the rest of the flock and kept her inside. She sits most of the time when she stands her wings droop and her neck curls down until she sits again. She is eating very well and drinking. Our vet gave her an antibiotic last week for 4 days, but there has been no improvement. The only other thing I can think of is to deworm her. I do not see any worms in her poop. I am hoping the dewormer will not kill her. I have wazine and valbazen. Which one should I use?

This happened to two of our chickens we never figured out what it was but we did these things and they were better within a week. take out ALL hay from any possible place that uour chickens could get to and try treating them with Backyard chicken healthyflock tabs and durvet vitamins & electrolytes for poultry. Is there comb purple at all even just the tiniest bit? If you give her an orange but slowly if she won’t eat the orange then squeeze it and give it to her like liquid. Also can you add pictures

:welcome:welcome
My chicken has been sick for about 3 weeks or more. When I first discovered she was sick she was staying in the coop. When I tried to push her out her wings would kind of droop to her side. I removed her from the rest of the flock and kept her inside. She sits most of the time when she stands her wings droop and her neck curls down until she sits again. She is eating very well and drinking. Our vet gave her an antibiotic last week for 4 days, but there has been no improvement. The only other thing I can think of is to deworm her. I do not see any worms in her poop. I am hoping the dewormer will not kill her. I have wazine and valbazen. Which one should I use?
:frow :celebrate

This happened to two of our chickens we never figured out what it was but we did these things and they were better within a week. take out ALL hay from any possible place that uour chickens could get to and try treating them with Backyard chicken healthyflock tabs and durvet vitamins & electrolytes for poultry. Is there comb purple at all even just the tiniest bit? If you give her an orange but slowly if she won’t eat the orange then squeeze it and give it to her like liquid. Also can you add pictures

Best advice I can give is to give her NutriDrench and deworm her with Valbazen. Wazine only works for roundworms, which I doubt your hen has.

She has been away from hay for the 3 weeks. Comb is not purple at all. Because she is eating so good, but not gaining weight or getting stronger, that is why I started thinking worms. No parasites on the outside of her. She did have some white goop coming from her vent 2 weeks ago. I took her to vet and they said no impacted egg. They gave me an antibiotic,but she is still very weak.

How old is she, and has she been recently been laying eggs?
You won’t necessarily see roundworms, and you cannot see the eggs without a microscope. Chickens can also have other worms, not seen with the eye. A local vet could examine some fresh droppings for worms and coccidiosis.
Is her neck weak and droopy, or does it curl down? She sounds weak, possibly dehydrated. Is she drinking normally?

She is 4. No eggs since early fall. Was not a regular layer. When she stands , her wings drop then her neck curls down until she sits again. When she is sitting her neck and wings are fine. She is eating and drinking great. Vet said she was doing it because she was very weak.

Last edited:
Best advice I can give is to give her NutriDrench and deworm her with Valbazen. Wazine only works for roundworms, which I doubt your hen has.
So the Valbazen will be ok to do even if she is so weak? 1 dose? Or repeat in 10 days?

Back
Top Bottom