Very weak newborn runner. Please help.

lklascala

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Long story short...hatching day came and went 3 days ago. My 2nd to last runner was literally stuck, so we helped. We had to even wet the membrane because it super glued to him.
The sac is not fully absorbed , but almost. He's really weak, but kicks like crazy sometimes. I attached pics.
Is there anything I can do to help him?

Attachments

• 20200605_085627.jpg
    20200605_085627.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 15913628198265752151977147944042.jpg
    15913628198265752151977147944042.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 15
The majority of what I see there is embryotic waste, but it's still large, and you can see its abdominal area is fairly swollen and open. Our main goal is to keep the area from becoming infected and to keep the duckling warm. The first thing I would do is wash your hands thoroughly, you don't want bacteria on your hand transferred to the duckling, I would then get a small cup, line it with dry paper towels, and gently set the duckling inside it, after that close the incubator back up, and leave the duckling be. I'd keep the temp around 96/7ish.

On the advice of someone else, I washed him under warm water to get the rest of the stickiness off. He is so matted and stiff.
Im lining a cup now. I would just hate it if he was suffering. His wing keeps flapping and his feet are kicking. I dont know if thats a sign of pain or not.
Should I put some Neosporin on his belly?

Who told you to do that, because that's bad, a newborn duckling shouldn't be getting wet. He needs to be DRY. You could dab a little bit of Neosporin around his belly.

Omg! My next door neighbor is a farmer who raises ducks. He said to wash it off! Now, I'm freaking out. I made sure to gently dry him and keep him warm. He's in the teacup in a paper towel. Ill put the Neosporin on in a bit.

I don't know! I'm freaking out. Please tell me what this is?
We had an emergency hatch with one of our runners. He was literally stuck in his egg. We had to wet the membrane to remove him from all the sticky stuff. Unfortunately, the sac was not fully absorbed and we kept him attached for a while longer. Eventually we realized that he was not going to absorb any more with the leftover membrane trailing from him.
We got it off, but now this raw, red piece is sticking out from his belly. We used a qtip and warm water to clean him up. The positive is that he was fighting against us the whole time, so I know he's got some energy. But, what is that and will it go away? Please help and advise!

Attachments

• Duck sac 1.jpg
    Duck sac 1.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Duck sac 2.jpg
    Duck sac 2.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 7
You need to leave the umbilicus alone it will completely absorb it just takes time. Did you put the neosporin on like was recommended? That’s why you put the duckling in a small bowl with dry paper towel under him to give the yolk sac plenty of time to absorb.

Back
Top Bottom