Very Weak (Possibly Dying) Chick! Need Advice!

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello. I just went to my local feed and supply store and saw they had chicks. I looked through all the boxes and buckets, and found one laying on the ground with its eyes closed, being trampled by the other chicks! I asked an employee if I could take it since it was going to die anyway, so they gave it to me. It is very weak and hardly cheeps at all, it wobbles when standing up and holds its wings down by its sides. It doesn’t even fuss at all when I pick it up and hold it, and I haven’t seen it open its eyes at all. What do I do? Should I feed it some food mixed with water with a syringe? Has this ever happened to anyone before? What did you do?

Alright, thanks! When she lays down she doesn’t really tuck her legs under her, she kinda just falls back on them so they stick out front kind of. Would that be considered splayed leg? How would I fix that since I can’t pull the legs back together to fix the problem?

Hello. I just went to my local feed and supply store and saw they had chicks. I looked through all the boxes and buckets, and found one laying on the ground with its eyes closed, being trampled by the other chicks! I asked an employee if I could take it since it was going to die anyway, so they gave it to me. It is very weak and hardly cheeps at all, it wobbles when standing up and holds its wings down by its sides. It doesn’t even fuss at all when I pick it up and hold it, and I haven’t seen it open its eyes at all. What do I do? Should I feed it some food mixed with water with a syringe? Has this ever happened to anyone before? What did you do?
Try some nutri drench. Give it a drop or two on its beak from an eye dropper. Also try some wet mash and see if you can get some water in her.

Also, would force feeding it cause too much stress? I don’t want to kill it from over handling or stressing it out.

Try some nutri drench. Give it a drop or two on its beak from an eye dropper. Also try some wet mash and see if you can get some water in her.
Thank you for your reply. I do not have any Nutri drench, and I am not currently able to get any. Is there anything else I can give her instead? Or should I just do some mash?

you could try and feed it some sugar water unless you have electrolyte powder for chickens. Ive used sugar water in emergencies like that and its a quick boost of energy and nutrients that might help revive the chick. I usually dip my finger in the water and try to get the chick to take in some of the water dribble. I hope you are able to rally it!

Can I see a picture of the legs?
5617FBE3-991A-4C6A-BC76-E9397FCD54E4.jpeg
FEDAED82-9B81-44F2-BDAC-86B52D4AC832.jpeg
475A31FF-DBAF-4633-BA02-7A30D51A994F.jpeg

Sorry, these are the best pics I could get right now. You can see her toes poking out in front of her. She kinda leans back on her knees

Back
Top Bottom