Very weird "egg"?

doglady60

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
My hens are all about three or four years old and aren't producing like they used to but I found the weirdest thing in the nest box. My husband said there was an egg so I reached in to pick it up and it felt like rubber. I was grossed out so got a small spade and picked it up. It was the size and shape of an egg but with the consistency of hard gelatin or rubber. When I tossed it into the trash it kept it's shape. What was it?

That's a soft shell egg... you might want to give your chickens the right amount of calcium... grit is very important.... oyster shell is excellent (cracked) and calcium rich treats are magnificent... some boiled eggs are magnificent one a week... crushed with their shells..... good luck.... update us..

Yeah, sometimes chickens can lay some strange eggs. In young pullets this is usually the egg producing organ working out the kinks. However, in mature hens this could indicate a dietary issue and you need to increase the calcium/protein. In older hens who are getting ready to experience henopause this could simply be the production line shutting down or something a bit more serious.

If your gals are acting fine then you might want to improve their diet.

I feed Purina lay crumble and the hens free range for a few hours every day. I will add more calcium but I'm guessing she is "shutting down" the egg production. Only my Americauna is still producing regularly. They have been enjoying the disgusting green caterpillars I keep finding on my tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom