Vet says gapeworm, recommends unavailable treatment; options?

Video has to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo, then you can embed the link by clicking the symbol next to the @ symbol in the tool bar.

-Kathy

Yeah, I just read that. I don't have a Youtube or a Vimeo account, so I have to do that first. Ugh.

Okay, I've got a video uploading but it's taking forever since we out in the sticks are not good enough for high-speed Internet. ;)

Meanwhile, what would you do? Call the same vet back and ask her to check the dosage, or call the vet you know, who you trust more but who also "doesn't see chickens unless as a very last resort when no one else is available"?

0.jpg

Okay, I've got a video uploading but it's taking forever since we out in the sticks are not good enough for high-speed Internet. ;)

Meanwhile, what would you do? Call the same vet back and ask her to check the dosage, or call the vet you know, who you trust more but who also "doesn't see chickens unless as a very last resort when no one else is available"?

Did the vet check her for an egg?

I would call the first vet back and ask them to confirm the Panacur dose, and I would call the second vet and ask them to tell you what the Panacur dose for gapeworms should be. That "FDA" dose of for the AquaSol treats large roundworms and cecal worms, it does not treat gapeworms or capillary worms.

-Kathy

Video has to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo, then you can embed the link by clicking the symbol next to the @ symbol in the tool bar.

-Kathy

The video is on Youtube now but after following both BYC's and Youtube's instructions step by step I can't get it to upload here (maybe because I'm on a Mac, who knows). This is the link if you want to check it out:

I also called the vet back about the dose and this is what she said: "The dose I gave you is what is listed in the veterinary formulary we use. The dose is higher for raptors, pet birds like parrots, and even pigeons, but lower for chickens. The formulary recommendation is 1/2 to 4 mg/kg. I also looked on a veterinary network and found a woman who says she's a poultry vet who uses 25 mg/kg. But the formulary range is 1/2 to 4 so I gave you two." At this point I pushed back to see if she would follow the poultry vet's recommendation instead of the formulary. She said to give the hen one more day on the low dose and if there's no improvement, to call back and she'll give me the higher dose. So basically, I can't get the stronger drug/larger amount (really wishing I'd paid more attention in chemistry class) until tomorrow.

My girl is still eating (treats only) and drinking water so I'm not as worried as I'd be if she wasn't. I'm going to mix some feed with plain yogurt and banana to try to get more nutrition into her; I have some food-grade DE so will add some of that as well for whatever it's worth. She and her friend are still in a dog crate and none too happy about it, but there's not much else I can do seeing as how it's 8 degrees outside and 35 in the garage (where the others are) right now. I plan to call first thing tomorrow morning and get that higher dose; if it won't hurt her, I'll increase the amount I'm giving her this morning, but how much do you think it should be given the concentration I have?

I feel like I should be sending you chocolates or something. You seriously have no idea how much better you've made my life these last 12 hours than it could have been.

The video shows up fine in post #24, and to me it looks like she's panting, which is why I asked about a stuck egg.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom