Vet visit and sick hen update

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
The other day I made a post about my hen Penny that became sick rather quickly. Well after a couple of days of antibiotics in the water and no improvement, I took her to the vet. While he was very nice and said he has taken care of chickens before, I don't know that he was all that knowledgable. But then again, who am I to talk about chicken knowledge.

He seemed pretty confident that this was a virus and will kill her. But he he cleaned off her eyes and took some blood to be tested. I get those results in 10 days. In the meantime, I am to give her Doxycyline 2 x's a day for 10 days and hope she lives and it hasn't infected my other chickens.

The visit was $100. He did say though that if Penny showed improvement and the others became ill, he'd give me more meds w/o having to bring each one in for a visit.

I sure hope Penny gets better.

Well, that was certainly helpful...
roll.png

If it IS a virus, antibiotics aren't going to do much...
fl.gif
for Penny's recovery and please let us know what the culture finds.

My thoughts exactly!

When the vet talked about her possibly having a virust that could wipe out the whole flock, my husband and I looked at each other and both said, "figures". See if it wasn't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.

But, yes, I'll update on Penny's results.

Have you heard of Sambucol, made from black elderberries? It is used for viruses and I don't see why it couldn't be used for a chicken with a viral infection. You can find it at a health food store and it tastes delicious, so I don't think it would be hard to get a bird to take a small spoonful.
Sambucol fights bird flu
Stephanie

If you decide to use this (the elderberry product) I would be careful on the amount (two or three drops would seem to me to be a "safer" amount all things considered)...
I did a cursory search on it and it would be better if you use the childrens formulation as this does not contain the zinc that the adult formulation does. As this is a well known dieuretic it would not be suitable for those birds that are drinking insufficiently and therefore where dehydration can be expected.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom