vicious pitbull

I agree with "know your breed and know the history and potentials of the breed." If you adopt a dog find out everything about its history you can!!!!

1350 lbs of bite pressure. I DOUBT it! That would sever or crush limbs with ease.

A full grown Hyacinth Macaw can't exert that much pressure and they will fully pierce ones arm with ease. Several field workers I have met had missing fingers and one had a crushed wrist from a Hyacinth encounter. They max at around 750 in testing.

Pits are a very compact muscular dog but the bite pressure figures don't add up.

Love the pic that was posted. Reality is that all breeds have pluses and minuses and as long as people are aware of the potentials, properly train and supervise their animals there usually are not issues. Exceptions to every rule noted here.

I have met kids that need some serious training too! Also met parents who should have never been allowed to breed. Human potentials are really no different from the dogs mentioned in this thread. There are good and bad in all.

I own Pits myself.
I have a Shepherd.
Also have Macaws.

I have met kids that need some serious training too! Also met parents who should have never been allowed to breed.

Amen!

Human potentials are really no different from the dogs mentioned in this thread. There are good and bad in all.

Humans can be far worse! We have the cognitive ability to create things to kill millions and meanness to do it...​

Speaking about pits, what I can't believe is that one or two instances of "pit bull aggression" creates an entire theory of them as vicious monsters.

I have been bitten by three dogs in my lifetime-wanna know what they were?

A Purebred, AKC registerd Boston Terrier named Jello =have a scar

a mixed chihaha (sp?) named Spooner =have a scar

and a Lab/Husk mix named St Ignacious (Piggy for short)=have a scar

Just because a dog has the ABILITY to cause great harm does not mean that it will.

My two current dogs are a lab/pit and a boxer/pit both dogs are wonderful and live together without issues. I would have owned pits a long time ago if not for ordinances that prohibited it-ordinances created because of misrepresentation and fear mongering.

I'm much more cautious around little dogs as they are prone to random aggression, and "little dog" syndrome, as I like to call it. ALL of the pit bulls I have ever known have been sweet tempered and friendly, yes they can be intimidating, but that's part of what they are bred for...

...And why they get such a bad rap. Most people think that anything that looks that big and bad *must* be that big and bad. Which is where bad owners come into play. I cannot even count how many times I've have seen "thug" types (of EVERY nationality) with pit bulls. These people get a dog like this because they want to make it mean and people aggressive, and they get what they want. Then they get tired of the dog and dump it somewhere and all h*** breaks loose.

Breed gets a bad rap b/c of a few stupid individuals. I would also like to point out that Pit Bulls are one of the most commonly owned breeds, and as such, even if the "statistics" show (which they don't) that pits cause more bites/deaths than any other breed the results would be unfairly proportioned due to the high level of pit ownership that is often unrecorded (whether due to illegal activity or unfair ordinances).

Pit bulls are friendly and if properly socialized are gregarious and loving.

And ours are chicken killers. And because of that we don't leave them unsupervised. ALL dogs have a prey drive, NO dog is safe with livestock-even LGD's have to be properly and preferably professionally trained to keep that drive in check.

The point is that any dog, no matter the breed, is capable of harming another creature. Writing off an entire breed because of something you heard, or so-called "statistics", or even one incident is rediculous.

That would be like me saying "never own a Boston, they bite" or "never own a husky or black lab, they bite" you get the point. ALL DOGS BITE! That, my friend, is the nature of the beast.

I also wanted to add that anyone claiming a Pit's bite is triple, or even double, a "normal" dog bite is off their rocker. A dog is a dog, yes there are differences, but Pits are not "superheroes." Or are they...

Last edited:
Quote:
I had cat scratch fever as a kid. I had surgery and got to spend a couple of days in the hospital. I still have a nice big 2 1/2 inch scar on my arm pit.

Take care,

Tami

I think all us Pitt lovers need to stand up and have some pitt pride. I am tired of seeing articles or news reports of pitt bull incidents. I have noticed that if it is a breed other then a pitt it just says A DOG attack etc. I think we need more publicity of the good sides of pitts. I think I am going to find a "I love my Pitt" shirt of bumper sticker and help in my small way to get the word out that not all pitts are bad. Just because a pitt is a pitt does not mean they are bad. There are alot of bad people out there, does that mean we trust no one becuase their is the "potential" that any person could be bad? No, or atleast I hope that is not your view. ANY dog has the potential to be good or bad depending on the way you raise it. No matter what breed though, Love your dogs, don't make them yard ornaments or expect that they will be great dogs unless you show them how to be great dogs. I know this could get heated but truly this thread is not meant to be an argument place. Simply appreciate the cuteness of the pictures. And remember most of us would not come onto a thread about your favorite breed and knock them just cause we can. Don't ruin a great place to connect to others who appreciate a good picture.

Heather

i have little couple pound chihuahuas in sweaters. i have lived several places where pits ran around whereever. it's the norm here. i don't really like that, but i can honestly say that the pits never hurt them EVER.

before i had really experienced pits as neigbhors i was afraid of them too. now i think they're great.

my actual experience changed my theoretical opinion.

amazing how real life can do that.

sissy dog owner and in favor of pits

wink.png

Not to hijack this thread, but here are my evil pitties:

Hooligan, her 5th birthday party last year
249704284.jpg

Ye olde dog pile. Thats our American Bulldog on the left and Schnitzel the weiner doggie wedged in the middle. Hooligan is in the bottom and Petey (rip) is on top:
80399584.jpg

Sexy Sinatra
257842157.jpg

And here's Hooli with my "neice", this was when Hooligan had all 4 of her legs
tongue.png

252270281.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
OMG! What cute doggies! I love them ALL! LOL! I was gushing over them as I saw the pictures. Thanks for sharing...

About Sexy Sinatra...all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW! She's a beauty. Holy smokes! I want one JUST like her!
big_smile.png

Thanks for sharing...oh I already said that.
roll.png

Pedro

Last Feb someone gave me a puppy that was only about 4 weeks old and fit in my hands. So naturally, she spent a lot of time in my lap while I was at the computer, watching tv, lying on the couch etc. I now have a 65 lbs PitBull lapdog that insists on lying full length on me when I am on the couch and hogging AT LEAST half of my bed and MORE than half the covers! I do agree that there are dogs that becasue of inbreeding/selective breeding for agression are prone to be agressive and these are a different case althogether, but if one remebers the inherent characteristics of ANY breed of animal and trains/handles/treats them accordingly most of them will turn out to be great pets. Knowing that Pits often tend to be animal and food agressive/protective I made sure when she was a pup that she was around other dogs and that she would share food. I still have to watch her with treats or "human" food, but she will let other dogs or the cats eat her dogfood. She is the 3rd Pit I have owned and they were ALL sweet, loving and gentle. My neighbors havea mini pin that always comes over everyday and plays with her. (my yard has an underground fence and Neni has to stay in but it doesn't keep Lady out!)She's smart, tho, when Neni (Pit) gets too rough, jumping on her, she just goes outside the perimeter for a few minutes and sits there. She knows Neni can't get to her!
I'd post a pic, but don't know how!

Suzi

Back
Top Bottom