Victory for Tennesseans against NAIS

hencackle

Crowing
17 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Telford, TN
HB 976 passed today--100% voted yes. It forbids any state funds to be spent on any animal ID system unless it is voluntary.
ya.gif

Stephanie

I will have to give this some serious consideration before I truly decide if this is good or not.
I think the government should regulate the big corporate battery farms
old.gif

I dont see a issue with the NAIS program it could be very helpful in the event of a disease outbreak.

How is this any different then the tracking of honeybee hives?

I have to report number of hive, county, road location, If they are move in or out of a county with fire ants they must be inspected. If moveing out of state they must be inspected. If I go to sell bees to another keeper then they must be inspected. So I dont see a issue with NAIS

Most people wont event fit under then guide lines for NAIS

Its just like when they say we are going to have a temporary increase in taxes only to find out later that its forever....

same situation here only with this... its only these folks or those folks only to find out it is every one who owns an animal at all...

Arklady

Quote:
Ah, but the big corporate battery farms have the ways and means to meet the NAIS requirements. If you believe for one minute this wasn't to benefit the big corporate battery farms by making it impossible for small specialty farms to make any money selling high-quality meats and products then you've swallowed the line 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'. Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, but I really think big corporation is behind the NAIS garbage.

If I thought for a minute that battery farms would become more humane as a result of NAIS I might give it a second look - but still not like the big-brother aspects of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
lively Bee's :

I dont see a issue with the NAIS program it could be very helpful in the event of a disease outbreak.

How is this any different then the tracking of honeybee hives?

I have to report number of hive, county, road location, If they are move in or out of a county with fire ants they must be inspected. If moveing out of state they must be inspected. If I go to sell bees to another keeper then they must be inspected. So I dont see a issue with NAIS

Most people wont event fit under then guide lines for NAIS

You have many bees in one hive. You don't have to file a report for the sale, purchase, death or movement of EACH individual bee.

Do you really want to have additional paperwork for each chicken, duck, turkey, goat, cow ...... in your possession? Are you able to afford a secretary to handle all the paperwork?

What if one of your birds goes "missing". You file the paperwork. Now said bird shows up with new chicks in tow. Well, now you get to file a new report stating "missing" bird now found. And don't forget a report for each of the chicks too! Wait! One died - another report. Whoops! two more kicked the bucket. Get busy on those reports. When does it finally push you into getting out of poultry? What makes you think that isn't exactly big poultry's hope?

Oh, and don't forget, you still have other animals that need taken care of and each requires reporting.

NO THANK YOU!! Although it may not seem so to Uncle Sam, I DO have a life outside of farming! And I don't want it filled with paperwork.

My 2 cents...
regards,
keljonma

http://nonais.org/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom