Victory in court today-update -guilty verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
I had another thread that was closed due to a troll infestation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=99139
It was regarding my birds being killed by dogs. Hopefully, this thread will stay open. I have been civil to my neighbors and follow all laws. I have done this the best way I can. I told you all that the neighbor's criminal court date was Feb 27th. What I didn't tell you was that my civil court date was today. I kept it off the board because I suspected that the dog owners watched this board looking for info on what I would say in court. I apologize for my silence on the civil court issue. It was small claims court. I went today. DS & DDIL went and testified also. We had all of our documentation in order. The judge saw it my way. WE WON!!
ya.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
I know that I will still have to collect, but I have done collections for my work. I know all about liens, etc. The judge said during the proceedings that she has owned a Rhodesian Ridgeback in the past, so she is familiar with the breed. That worked in my favor because the neighbor couldn't get away with saying that they don't have a high prey drive and that they aren't good at jumping fences. I couldn't believe the lies my neighbor's wife told under oath.
ep.gif
The wife lied and told the judge that I called the Sheriff on all of my neighbors! Of course she didn't have any examples. Then she told the judge that I was only being vengeful because she had stolen my cat. I didn't know she stole my cat.
th.gif
I didn't know where he went (he did get away and come home on his own). I thought he just disappeared and came back.
idunno.gif
She also told the judge about an incident years ago when she and another woman "borrowed" a horse from my property and how mean I was when I went to her house and took it back just because they didn't have permission to take it. She said I scared her and the other lady so bad that they were "shaking in their boots." The horse actually belonged to a friend of mine that kept the horse at my house. Not calling the authorities was her call, not mine. I don't know how they thought telling the judge about taking my cat and the horse would help them, but it only showed how idiotic they were. Their biggest piece of evidence was a picture of one of the dogs sitting next to a stuffed toy chicken. They thought that it would show that the dog wouldn't be aggressive to a chicken.
hmm.png
The husband didn't say much because the judge advised him that anything he said in the courtroom could and would be used against him in the criminal trial. I asked for replacement value for the birds, replacement value for feed that was spilled in the coop, lost wages, lost egg production, damages done to my coop, etc. I have a judgement against them in the amount of $1005.67 plus court costs. I will have to check my records, but I think the court costs totaled about $70. That was one expensive romp the dogs had that day. I'm glad that at least part of this is over.

I thank you all for the continued support. I feel like I am not in this alone.

Last edited:
Congrats!!! I know what its like to win, it doesnt replace the lost birds but it does give you the satisfation of having a judge tell them the are wrong. Glad all went well!

YAAAAA WHOOOOOOOOOO
and good for you ,
glad for you.. hip hip hoorayyyyy LOL
some times neighbors
have nothing better to do then be mean...

Good for you! Now, they say every dog has their day, but you...well, I'm sure you've made it very clear they won't have very much of a 'day' ever again!
roll.png
Or at least I hope, for you. I'm sorry for the lives that you will never be able to to replace.

Victory indeed!
woot.gif

People sometimes 'hang themselves' given enough rope. We had some deadbeat renters that we had to take to small claims court years ago. They tried to tell the judge the place was 'unfit to live in' and that is why they didn't pay rent. He asked why they didn't just move if it was so bad. The guy said, 'well, we have a lot of stuff.' The judge laughed and said, "I have a lot of stuff, too, but if I back up a truck to it, I can load it and move."

That is only one example of the ridiculous excuses we got. Unfortunately, it was an 'empty judgement' as they had no assets to attach, but it was the step necessary to start eviction proceedings. Took 4 MORE months to get them out. They knew just how to play the system.

So glad this worked for you. Hope your neighbors need that cleared and pay up!

congrats! this is the way to do it! make the OWNERS pay!..awesome!...
ya.gif
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
keep us posted about the other date!
pop.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom