(Video) Mealworms are a great snack for new chicks

neat idea to put your mealworm farm in a plastic drawer thingy. i usually use the rubbermaid boxes. i want to use the drawers like you're doing, but don't mealworms like the dark? or does it matter? also, what are you using for the "bedding"? i usually use chick starter. what are you using, and why? (just trying to learn better/different ways)

neat idea to put your mealworm farm in a plastic drawer thingy. i usually use the rubbermaid boxes. i want to use the drawers like you're doing, but don't mealworms like the dark? or does it matter? also, what are you using for the "bedding"? i usually use chick starter. what are you using, and why? (just trying to learn better/different ways)

Yes,I just cover them with a towel for darkness. That is oatmeal, cheap, wally world oatmeal. AllI have ever tried but I think I will try the chick starter, Thanks for the idea,

i love how that one chicks like to make a mess of the wormies. lol.
are mealworms good for chickens? would you recommend feeding them mealworms?
if so when do you start introducing the mealworms?

Last edited:
I recently bought a tiny carton of 100 meal worms for the princely sum of $8.50. I got them at the local aquarium fish store. I wanted something to try to entice my very sick Brahma to eat. She didn't survive, but I had about 50 worms left. They had actually grown in the wheat bran medium they came in, so I decided to use them to start a meal worm farm. At these prices, seems like a great idea.

I just got a plastic storage tub, filled it with oatmeal and dumped in the worms. I added a carrot and a spent, wet tea bag for moisture requirements. I checked on them today, and after just one week, the worms had eaten all the tea in the tea bag. (Chai tea, in case you are wondering.) so I added a couple more.

I keep them in the water heater closet where it's warm and dark. Worm farms are fun. If you have kids, they'll get a lot out of taking care of them, which really doesn't involve much care.

And the chickens will have a steady supply of treats!

I enjoyed the video! Chicks and worms are great entertainment! As long as they have grit, even very young chicks can enjoy them. And you can enjoy watching them enjoy them!

Back
Top Bottom