(Video) Mealworms are a great snack for new chicks

They sure love them, but I'm not sure it is a good idea for their delicate digestive system. Chicks need chick starter food for healthy growth.

LOL. What do you suppose they eat when a broody hen shows her chicks around the barnyard? They are chickens and I agree they need a balanced diet but these mealworms fill the protien side nicely.

I don't think there is anything with giving them some mealworms on a plat as long as it's occasional, not every day. And also, I wonder if as many people *baby* their chicks as much as it seems. I don't feel that they NEED to be kept over-heated to the point of pasty butt in a brooder, once they are over a week or so old. My own chicks have a heat lamp, but they have been in a 5 X 5 X 2 chicken wire grow out pen since the oldest were about 3 weeks old. They went into my garage, which is unheated. They have never been sick a day *knocks on wood* and they never spent all their time under the heat. At less than 6 weeks old, they went outside in the same grow out pen, with a tarp over part of the top and the *breezy* side...for shade and to provide a wind break. This is Texas, of course, and TODAY I ended up putting them back in the garage, to let my back yard dry out (because of the torrential rain we've had over the last two days)...once I build their permanent coop and run, they'll go right back out.

Just saying what works for me, and that it was fun to see the babies in the video enjoying their treat :D I'll need to video mine devouring a bowl of oatmeal soon :D I think they eat it in record time.

Thanks for sharing! That was cute to watch!
smile.png

As long as chicks have grit to digest the worms, I'm not sure what the problem is?

i enjoyed the video! the chicks are awesome! and they DO love their mealworms! and it is a great source of protein! i use to have my own meal worm farm. after seeing this vid it's making me feel like doing it again. it's not that difficult or expensive.
and my chicks arn't indoors under a heat lamp long either. depending on the time of year of course. but the way i see it, they have each other for warmth, i feel like a bunch of chicks can provide warmth just like a momma hen once they are at least 2 or so weeks old.
cute vid!

I honestly don't think it matters, in nature, their mother isn't showing them where the chick starter is. I always give treats! My birds always do fine!

Back
Top Bottom