Video of chick having a hard time breathing!

SoniaM

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2021
She is having a hard time breathing. She doesn’t open mouth breath all the time. Only sometimes. She is sneezing or what seems to be a sneeze. She shakes her head and like blows out of her nose. When she is standing, she’s falling asleep a lot. Not lethargic though. She is preening and is losing like ‘dandruff’. She’s pecking at her legs. She is eating and drinking and pooping
I have put Corid in her water. Also some electrolytes. I have rubbed Vetrx on her beak and feathers.

She does look like she is having respiratory problems.

I wonder if she inhaled some particles, dust, or fibers and it's causing some discomfort in her trachea. Maybe try putting some drops of water along her beak and let her rinse out her nostrils, she will swallow the water it won't enter her respiratory system. Any other ideas you have to get her fresh air and maybe some humidity. Even that material in the video has microfibers that can be inhaled, not sure it is some kind of diaper.

Besides the dust or aerosol particles, she doesn't look sick. If you start to see mucous then you may need to treat with an antibiotic like Tylan. She looks energetic and healthy, just something is causing discomfort in her nostruls or trachea.

Edit: it should work itself out, but depends how long you have been seeing the symptoms.

20210605_134152.jpg

Last edited:
She does look like she is having respiratory problems.

I wonder if she inhaled some particles, dust, or fibers and it's causing some discomfort in her trachea. Maybe try putting some drops of water along her beak and let her rinse out her nostrils, she will swallow the water it won't enter her respiratory system. Any other ideas you have to get her fresh air and maybe some humidity. Even that material in the video has microfibers that can be inhaled, not sure it is some kind of diaper.

Besides the dust or aerosol particles, she doesn't look sick. If you start to see mucous then you may need to treat with an antibiotic like Tylan. She looks energetic and healthy, just something is causing discomfort in her nostruls or trachea.

Edit: it should work itself out, but depends how long you have been seeing the symptoms.

View attachment 2706337
She has been breathing like that for over a week. I have removed the pine shavings that I had in the box I have put her in. She has been alone in her box since Monday. That is actually a puppy pad. As I mentioned, she is eating, drinking and pooping. Nothing is coming out of her nostrils, no mucous or anything. I have been bringing her outside during the day to get her some fresh air.
Should I keep her separated from her ‘sisters’?

I'm sorry, but I do not have experience administering any special treatments for respiratory problems. But I have observed similar behavior in my chickens, but if the nostrils are clean, I haven't done anything else. I may sleep them seperately, but they are put with the flock outside during the day.

In the video she is clearly scratching at the left side of her face. Something is irritating her. The lack of mucous is somewhat of a concern because if there was dust particles, the mucous would help to clear it out.

You're sort of in the realm of naturalistic treatment options. I'm only able to guess maybe some type of expectorant would help stimulate the mucous to clear out any particles. The type of drug is called a Mucokinetic agent. There are a few ideas in google like giving a garlic steam treatment, giving warm liquids or teas, and some other herbal stuff like licorice and lemongrass. I would try maybe a dab of vicks vapor rub put into a spoon, and then put a flame under the spoon to make it vaporize, and hold her near to breathe in some vicks vapor rub vapors.

Like I said I have never had to treat it because I let them be with the other chickens. There is some articles on using Ambroxol Hcl in poultry as a Mucokinetic agent, which is an active ingredient in some cough syrups, but I live outside the US and the drugs are different. So maube try a natural remedy of garlic or tea unless someone else has an idea. It doesnt really explain the preening or dandruff, all my chickens do that somewhat.
20210606_103052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom