Vinegar for feather picking?

spies04

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
Hi - I was told by a friend that vinegar works to deter feather picking? Wondering what your thoughts on this? I am looking for some home remedies instead of Blue Kote - I have worn it myself way too much
gig.gif

thanks!

If your flock is feather picking and not just pecking order occurrence then it suggests they don't have enough space or are lacking enough protein in diet. Those are the two reasons that come to mind but there must be more.

spies, I would love to know if the vinegar works.

Besides protein problems and lack of space, bordeom is another big factor, assuming this isn't hens picking the rooster. I have 7 rescue hens that spent a year in a guy's bedroom, and when I got them last spring at a year old, 4 were looked so ratty from the picking. Picking stopped within a few days of getting to their new coop, as outdoors, lots of space, lots of other chickens, etc helped.

The picking problem just reared its head again, though, I think because they have less outdoor space that they will use with the snow - they tend to stay under the coop - and because they are sometimes reluctant to go outside if I am not home to shoo them out - again becaues of the snow. during the work week, I leave and return home in the dark, so they spend time in a smaller space.

I am trying a flock block, and I've ordered something called rooster booster no pick lotion - which has juniper oil as main ingredient.

Actually, it is my rooster who is getting picked on. Why did you ask specifically about that? The hens love his back feathers.

Back
Top Bottom