vinegar ?

I never give my chicks anything other then plain fresh water and chick crumbles. They always do just fine! My theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it lol.

I am so new to this so I don't know if I am right! I got my chicks from a feed store and didn't hear about the sugar water after mail ordering, for chicks energy, until after I had the chicks for a few days. My mom lives in Idaho and went to a chicken class the first weekend I had the chicks. LOL! She said putting Apple Cider Vinegar in their water is good for them. It helps reduce the mucus in their little bodies and keeps out bad bacteria. I put 1tsp of ACV in a quart of their water and they love it. I did a lot of research on it and a LOT of people do it. Just don't put it in a metal waterer, only plastic. Plus it helps keep the waterer clean? I have noticed they don't have as many of those dark, runny, stinky poops as before I put it in their water. It also adds minerals and things....We drink sports drinks and use supplaments, why not give them something that is beneficial for them??

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much for the input. I had read about the vinegar but wasn't quite sure about newborns. This is my first ever hatching and it has been one crazy thing after another. Humidity problems, electricity outage,temperature control problems.We're really surprised that this one little fellow has hatched. Sure hope he lives.. Actually not sure if it is a he or she. Just have a feeling .

I did it the first 2-3 days, 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon water, with the sugar and vitamin electrolyte, then I read about you shouldn't do it too long, because they can become acidotic, too much acid in them, So that is why I stopped after a few days, I had a few out of 26 that had a little poo on their butt, but nothing bad, I also put some prebiotic yogart mixed with some starter and they loved that, now almost a week old, they all seem to be pooping good poo. I am a first timer, but just have read a lot on this forum and really appreciate all the wise chicken owners for helping out us newbies.

Hi! I use regular ACV all the time. I started with the chicks and continue with the big girls. It is supposed to be good for the little guys, but keeps the water from getting sour with the big girls, too.

Back
Top Bottom