Violet's only companion died today - and it's freezing

I too find myself over thinking. Sometimes I'll ask my husband and he'll make a suggestion that is so simple it scares me. I guess you and I can over think together. My name is Linda.

Hmm...I'd be inclined to go through the integration process just once and get the three, so you go up to the 4 you want. Generally speaking, I think popping the new ones on the roost at night and having everyone wake up together is the way to go to minimize fighting. However- you probably want to think about quarantine for the new girl(s), as you would hate for them to bring Violet something that makes her sick. I know opinions vary on this, but I think at minimum the recommendation is that you keep new birds separated for at least a couple of weeks, if not 30 days. You might want to search for advice here. I've never had to introduce new adults to my flock (only day old chicks who were kept separate until they were much older), so I don't have a lot of personal experience to share.

As far as eating- if you really want to spoil her and make sure she's eating enough, you might consider making up a hot mash. Mine go nuts for it and it's very easy. Take some of your layer pellets, and add a little hot water (either from a kettle or the hottest your tap will go)- in below freezing temps, just be careful how much water you add so the whole thing doesn't freeze into a solid block when you bring it out. You'll see the layer pellets start to disintegrate when you add the water- then, add in a handful of rolled oats, maybe some thawed corn kernels, some raisins, some sunflower seeds, some mealworms, some chopped up kale or spinach, whatever she likes. I try to make sure most of the mash is pellets with a reasonable amount of treats added in. I have 8 girls so I divide this up into several bowls so no one has to fight for it. With just Violet, you can probably just put in in a small plastic bowl and give her as much as she can finish off in 10-15 minutes, maybe in the morning and at night.

That mash idea sounds great!! I have pretty much everything in your list! Thank you for suggesting that.

The chicken seller tells me he has vaccinated the hens - is that a pretty good indication that they can be disease free? Also, I am feeling a sense of urgency given Violet's loneliness and the cold outside. I'd like to get her companions as soon as possible. 30 days seems like an awful long time for her to be miserable.

Again, is over thinking coming into play again. I'd go tomorrow and pick up however many you've decided on and toss them in at bed time. The mash idea is great because only treats isn't healthy.

Mine love the warm water feed mash. They act like it is meal worms!

Do keep us posted on whatever you decide to do and how it goes
yippiechickie.gif

Yep, totally understand that you want her to have companions sooner rather than later. In your position, I'd probably go get the new ones now and give it a couple of days to be sure there were no obvious respiratory illness before putting them together. Do let us know what you decide!

If you decide not to do the integrating process and simply put them in at night then I would be inclined to set the alarm clock early the following morning to go down and see them just as they are waking up. At the moment here that's about 20mins or half an hour before it gets light. That way you can check to make sure that Violet isn't being picked on by the others. It may be her coop, but she'll be outnumbered 3:1 so it is worth checking ASAP and keeping an eye in the situation for a few days.

Last edited:
We drove up to a chicken farm and bought a chicken. We are just about to introduce Matilda (Tilly for short) to Violet. It has just gotten dark. Updates as they come!!

Back
Top Bottom