Violetsfeathers Flock

I was in the coop this morning doing the usual chores when I heard this awful sound coming from the chick pen. I looked over and it didn't look like anything was wrong so I continued doing chores. Then I heard it again! This time I sat and watched them until it happened again, Hawk is learning to crow! He was 6 weeks old Saturday. His half brother hasn't crowed yet.

Hawk. Brahma Cochin cross bantam

Dot the Cochin bantam went broody today, I will see if she will take some of the new chicks tomorrow :)

If you look up marshmallow the chicken or marshmallow and chicks on YouTube you will see marshmallow

I put one of my least favorite chicks (in case anything happened) under Dot last night, the chick kept trying to get out but Dot kept pushing it back under her like an egg. The nest box she went broody in has to be moved or she has to find a different nest box before she can have the chicks.
When marshmallow was broody she only pecked at me once but then I tapped her head and she never did it again. Dot will literally try to rip your skin off! She grabs your hand and twists! I know she will kill anything that tries to hurt her chicks.... Including us! I don't want her to teach her chicks to be afraid of people.
She is the only one that Is brave enough to terrorize marshmallow and her half-grown chicks.

Back
Top Bottom